Old 04-13-2010, 08:31 AM
dsb38327

Originally Posted by ckcowl
boy, i wrote a whole page and lost it...here goes again...

i'm not a man, but i've taught a few to quilt...started with my nephew (then 20)he was laid off, and hanging out with me...i was working on a stained glass block...he was intrigued...within a couple days he decided he wanted to try it himself...went to the computer found a coloring book page of a raccoon, enlarged it, printed it and created this AWESOME block, then he grew his (zoo) with a duck, bunny, turtle...was on a roll...
then my oldest son hits the scene...never to be outdone by his cousin...he jumped in (in a total different direction) created some pretty cool blocks then decided his interest is more in painting/dying fabrics...enter the youngest son(about 14 at the time) and he not to ever be outdone by the older two designed himself an pretty cool quilt...
they are all 3 very creative...and over the years have pushed my to find new techniques and figure out how to do things...
like curved piecing...i had not done any...one day Jess(the nephew) comes to me with a block going wrong..."aunt colleen, how does this work...its not working..." so, i had to do some research and do some practicing then teach all 3 guys how to do curves...then my son shows up with a problem...card trick...partial seams....back to the computer....they push me...they are FABULOUS at picking out colors/putting together collections...i always turn to one of them if i['m trying to put together a color run...they can without even thought pulll out the fab that should not be there and put in what works... and all 3 of them have in turn taught their girlfriends how to sew :)
Ohh,, I love it. Hugs./Dorothy