View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Gerbie

I have no idea how old this fab. is, but I love the lavender print. I am almost 66 now and made my first outfit in 4-H at 9 yrs. old, thus developing my love for sewing. Back in the 50's almost all fabric was 36 wide, once in a while you would find some 45 and that was a treat. I remember patterns were 10 & 15 cents each, then went up to 25 cents. But then we only paid 12 cents to go to the movies, and could have a coke, and popcorn, all for less than 50 cents. Am I dating myself or what. I do remember fabric being less that 50 cents a yard. When double knit came into being it was more expensive and 60 inches wide and we all thought we were in heaven, because we didn't have to buy as much fabric to make anything. We bought fabric from most dept. stores, Woolsworths, Pennys, Sears and Wards when we went out of town, plus from a local dept. store in town. But then most ladies sewed for their families. I definitely remember the old dials, and tearing the fabric and they were always accurate. You never had to worry about having enough fabric from someone who can't cut straight or doesn't know how to even cut fabric. The last time I saw one of those dials was in the 70's when I was really sewing for my two kids, and that was at an area store C.R. Anthony's. My Home Ec. teacher taught us how to correctly tear fabric, but she was more of the new school and thought we also needed to know how to cut it, that was in '58 & '59. I would guess and say the fabric is definitely from the 50's and possibly from the late 40's at that price. But I am not an authority by any means, just going by the price and print. What a treasure. I would be careful about washing it, might do so by hand, as washing it in a machine might cause it to come apart, because at that price and with the tag label it is "old". I do remember fabric really fading at times, so watch what you wash with it if anything. Great find, I would make something that I didn't have to wash often if I had it, to preserve it. I loved TG&Y, and all of the stores like that. There aren't around anymore and that is another lost treasure.