View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM
mpeters1200

I've thought a lot about what I would post here....my stepson has been deployed once to Iraq, Baghdad, for 15 months. He just came back September 1st. They gave him leave at Christmas, and I knew something was up. They are sending him to Korea. He's rather frank about some things and he feels they are sending them there to be closer to Afghanistan and Pakistan. What he does is dangerous.

I've know him since he was 10 and he's almost 22 now. My husband and him have always been very close. Do not be surprised if he doesn't tell you anything about what it's like outside of the weather. They know very well how much what they are doing worries you. They can be aprehensive about saying anything because they don't want you to worry. My husband became ill in the fall and I had to call the Red Cross to get Steven home. My DH was very upset that I had him wait so long to tell him. Steven was thankful. They just don't have time to worry about home. They take the time worrying about home that might be the time they need to react to something in the here and now.

Also, don't be surprised if he doesn't want to tell you what he's scared of or how serious or not serious things are. Sometimes, they just can't deal talking about it until later. Keep things light and positive.

I never have been a big fan of news reports from wars because 99% of it is inaccurate. You will drive yourself crazy trying to hear or see every little thing worrying that it's your son they are talking about. I can't tell you how many times I changed the news because I didn't want to give myself that burden. It just makes your time longer.

It seems like you have a bit more free time than I do. I have Steven's 3 little brothers at home and there are 4 other adult children around too to keep me busy, plus I work full time. I picked a quilt that was simple...I've seen your work, so you may like something more complex...I started it the day he left and put the last stitch of binding into it the moment my hubby saw the lights of the plane come into view. 15 months of love went into it. I worked on it here and there as I made some smaller pieces in between. I can only finish about 1 big project a year and try to fit in smaller ones too so I don't get bored.

I posted a picture here so everyone could see it, I'll have to go find it and come back. I kept myself busy cranky out small projects because I wanted to work on it the whole time he was gone. I didn't want to finish it before he made it home. So far, it's the largest quilt I've ever made.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-25117-1.htm

I also immersed myself in quilts of valor, yellow ribbons, and Blue Star mom's banners. I sent Christmas cards in bulk so as many of our boys and girls as possible, could have something from home for Christmas. I have a couple girlfriends I met through these projects that make placemats, air fresheners for footlockers and all sorts of smaller crafts that can be sent to soldiers who don't get a lot of mail. There are TONS of things you can do and it all helps, both your son and his commerades.

sorry for such a long post.