Old 04-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I have an industrial Singer 95-80 from the 1930's and I love it.

At the time, I was sewing "professionally", making lots of things and selling them at craft shows (this was 1986). I was using a second-hand old all-metal Kenmore that I had to keep taking into the shop for repairs every couple of months as it would not hold the timing. And the repair man basically told me, "Lady, you've worn it out! Get another machine!". I asked him about industrials - secondhand only, as I could not afford a new one - and he showed me this ancient, cosmetically-challenged Singer. And he assured me that I would not be able to wear it out within my lifetime.

I do believe he was right. In all these years - 24 now? - it has been in for repairs exactly once, when I got it jammed up with fabric. I can oil it, clean it, and since there are manuals online I can even time it myself. Just think of the money I have saved in repairs and tune-ups. It has more than paid for itself.

Yes it does a great straight-stitch. And... yes, that's all it does, no reverse, no zigzag. But most of the sewing I do is straight-stitch anyway. I have a Bernina 1130S that does fancy tricks... but my choice is always to go over to the Singer.

Love story? Well... years ago my son took my seam ripper and carved an "I love you" into the finish. So we have that, too, as part of the history of this machine.