View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Joanie2

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Thanks, ladies!

I did a memory quilt "nap quilt" for her mum last year and did it all in pinwheels. It turned out great, but to find pieces of fabric big enough for pinwheels was tough. And I'm using some of the clothes left over from that.

Joanie...I know for just string quilt I wouldn't need to, but with the addition of stretchy fabrics, I was nervous. Getting the stretchy to lay down on the muslin and get sewn to the "not stretchy" will be difficult...should I expect problems when I quilt? If it's floating like that, without a stabilizer?
Is your stretchy fabric jersey? I would think that if you did not pull that fabric as you were sewing it to the muslin you would not have any issues. Once the block is completed and attached to the muslin you should not have any issues with quilting. Remember to make the initial blocks slightly larger than you want them so that you can cut them down to the size you want. You might also consider doing a machine basting stitch around the blocks before you sew them together.