Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Mary Ellen

I also have several sewing machines. None computerized.
I learned on a treadle machine in a home with no electricity, running water, bathroom, etc.

I have an embroidery machine that I have had for over 30 years. My husband bought it for me so I could make clothing for our children that did not look "homemade". The cams and ability to use wing needles or twin needles turned my sewing into heirloom clothing...plus a bit of handwork as well.

But I don't like to piece tops on that machine. It's straight stitch just doesn't compare to my featherweight. Plus the smallest presser foot is 3/8" not 1/4".

My sister's husband was working with a crew to empty a house after the estate sale. And there in the huge pile to be hauled away to the land fill, was this featherweight and some other antiques that he just knew his wife would be thrilled to have.

She loved the antique furniture, but knew I would be the right new owner for that little sewing machine. So we swapped something that she needed I had, for that little darling.

The folks at the estate sale had it threaded wrong, so the machine appeared to be out of order. No one would buy it. If only they had opened the manual that was in the bottom of the case, and read what it said...but then again, I wouldn't have my little darling either. And the attachments that went with it...wow.

I used a hand crank machine when we were in the Cuna Islands, off the coast of Panama. No reverse, and which direction you turn the crank makes a huge difference. I rather like having both hands able to control the fabric...so if there is no power, I either want a treadle machine...or to simply hand sew.

When Hurricane Ivan (2004) hit, we had no power (or water) for 6 weeks. When Dennis hit (2005) same time line...but both times we still had things to do. So if power is your issue, also look for hand crank record player, so you can still listen to some music while you sew.

And yes, I too love history, and imagining my ancestors watching what I am up to, and sharing a cup of hot herbal tea or coffee with me while I make love offerings for the next generations to come.