Old 04-16-2010, 12:12 PM
SewExtremeSeams

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Not necessarily, look at this COMMON Singer 27. I paid $15 for it and its treadle, it was functioning but looked rough as a corn cob.

After the repaint I have been offer $100 just for the machine head!

I still have the treadle (its in my studio as the main power source) and the cabinet was restored and is in my attic waiting on a set of irons.

But BEFORE you do a repaint find out about all you can about the machine its rarity and so forth.

Billy
Your refurbished Singer looks beautiful. How or where did you get the Singer emblem? I had inquired of you about an old Damascus for $30 and did acquire it last weekend. I never thought about painting it until this thread showed up today. Cool idea.

Can a novice do this?

As to the main topic of this thread... personally I have purchased 3 machines with the gold pretty much intact and I probably wouldn't redo those. However, this threadle seems to operate well but the markings aren' t anything to be admired. I guess my answer would be that 'it depends on what you acquire as to whether or not to paint. Some of the paint jobs look great. Way out of my price range but they look beautiful!