View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 04:05 PM
booklady

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by booklady
The "floaters" are nicer looking in my opinion but the grid ones looked good too.
What do you mean by floating the t-shirts? I can't figure out what this is or how you do it.
When I cut all the shirt designs in one size and set them in a grid pattern, that's my grid design.

other times I cut the shirt design to fit the design and all the shirt pieces might be different sizes. I then set them up with a solid color sashing and no specific grid pattern. I call that floaters because the shirts seem to float on the background.

You can see from my avatar that the shirts are all different sizes. They are cut with a three inch grid in mind. The shirts are 3, 6, 9, 12, 15" by 3 , 6 9, 12, 15. All cutting measurements are divisible by 3". Then I lay out a pattern using grid paper. I use "sticky notes" cut to the shirt design and play with the grid pattern and the sticky notes untill all the shirts have a spot. Then I measure my sashing to fit in between. On the avatar quilt top the 3" squares were used in the sashing. The back side uses a teal fabric for the sashing. I'll check my computer to see if I have better pictures that might show this.

My first try was to cut all shirts according to design, then figure out the sashing. This was a geometric nightmare because there was no rhyme or reason to sizes. Then I got smarter and cut the shirt designs on a 2" or 3" grid. The sashing was much easier.

Again, I'll look for some photos to show this better.