Old 04-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Tiffany

That is a gorgeous quilt! If I'd seen that before I started I think I would have gone with my original idea, which was to make the background in the block and the sashing the same color. I love the way the blocks look like they are floating.

Originally Posted by wilhelmina
Here is my count: 38-10-0-1095-0

38 Blocks; 10 Tris; 0 Kites; 1095 Pieces; 0 Plain Tris

I thought I had 40ish, 38 good too!
Wow, you are amazing! I'm still working on block my seventh block. :oops:

I just spent the weekend taking classes from Sally Collins. That is one talented and awe inspiring woman!!! The biggest tip I took from her that will help when sewing some of these smaller pieces in my DJ blocks is an odd one. I'll share it, in case anyone else has similar issues. When she irons her pieces, she doesn't just iron them and then pick them up and carry them back to the sewing machine to add another piece. Instead, she sets a weight (A ruler with something heavy on it) over the piece and allows it to cool down before she picks it up and continues to sew. I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it but darn, it really works in keeping each unit and block perfect. And the seams lie flat, which makes the entire piece lie flat. If anyone out there is having a problem with their blocks coming out too big or becoming wonky, give this a try and see if it helps. I really love the difference it makes!