View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 AM
scrapsoftime

Hey everyone
thanks for all your great answers to my newbie Q's yesterday.... have several more - lol!! Almost done with my quilt from yesterday and will post pics when done. Will also post my ??'s separately to make easier to answer. I realize, for the experienced quilter, different quilts probably require/demand/want, different quilting methods. As a newbie quilter (mostly stitching in the ditch... i.e. finish a quilt in a weekend while kids pouncing on me) I havent experimented with many different types. For the quilt I'm finishing today I did meander quilt thru the main section and did some tighter (not sure if it's stippling) quilting along outer edge. What do you all like to do? What else could I do that doesnt take a ton of artistry (like freehanding flowers I'd imagine would be very time consuming and hard).

Also, with meander/stipple quilting, any suggestions on "tension" settings? I had this problem the first time I did it and ended up taking machine into shop where they suggested I adjust my tension but also use a different bobbin. Of course now it's been awhile and can't remember which bobbin they suggested. I have several places on back of my quilt (current one) where I need to rip out and fix stitching. It's too loose on back (fine on front). I tightened the tension and that seemed to resolve prob. Also there are times when I get a knotted mess on the back - what's that from? Sorry, as you can tell, I know just enough to be dangerous!! lol!! :) Thanks for any insight!!

Leigh