Thread: Serger machines
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Lucia

Hi Minda
I have a Kenmore that “Santa” bought at Sears for $250.00 in 2004; he did not do any research and I was disappointed when I saw it, but... I am so happy with it . I do not sew clothes, but I have been using it to “sew” quick quilts. I did take 3 classes and have all the settings for the different fabrics in a note book; on the second class I learned “heirloom sewing” and made a beautiful baby quilt. On the third I learned how to sew curves and made another quilt. And guess what: in the first class there were people with Janome and some two other very famous brands (I can’t remember which ones) that were exactly the same machines. There was no difference at all other than the name and … the price! The cheapest one was $800.00! Yes, eight hundred! Mine has 4 threads and one MUST is the “differential feed”. Do not buy one without this fixture. I can do so much with it… I actually have tried a couple brands that really do not sew as smooth and well as this one. I am sure that eventually I will buy a better model but this one is great.
I did have a fantastic teacher that unfortunately moved to Philadelphia. I think it is great to be able to take classes and learn “things” that would not happen if you tried just to follow the book or the video that comes included.
Lucia