View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 05:38 PM
trupeach1
Banned

Donate the money next time. Years ago I would bake cakes for the school cake sale. I was a pastry chef and worked from home. I used the best of ingredients. One year they asked if I could donate several cakes as there were teachers who were going to buy them at the cake sale. I made them and after the fact they had charged only $3 per cake OMG it cost me more then $3 just for the butter that went into making the cake and frosting. I stopped baking for the school cake sale. But stupid me didn't learn my lesson the church was having a bake sale after Mass. I baked 3 sheet cakes of coffee cake they were selling them by the slice. One woman ate the piece she bought then went back to buy an entire coffee cake. I almost dropped dead they were selling the cake for 15 cents per slice. This happened about 10 years ago and at that time a donut in the local bakery cost 95 cents. I have donated afghans to the local church since moving to Ohio for their silent auction but I do not know how much money they received. I decided no more donation when I have no control of how much something will be sold for and the people who are selling the items haven't a clue as to how much something is worth. I think they think if it is homemade it is cheap. I have baked and given cakes to the homeless and womans shelters. I have made quilts for project linus and again the homeless and womans shelter. I will donate to them but i will NEVER again donate for an auction or cake sale.