Old 04-20-2010, 02:51 PM
humbird

If you ask 30 different people for advise, you will get 30 different answers, and they would all be correct. I will tell you how I do it. I am working on my 2nd GFG as we speak. I do english paper piecing, 1 inch hex's. I print them from a site on the internet. I cut them out myself. I'm sure the precut would be wonderful, but I'm cheap! I use scrap paper from junk mail a lot. That seems to be pretty good paper. Print on the back sides. I guess in the "olden" days, they even used letters, newspapers, catalog pages etc. I would be afraid of newsprint. I believe I have cut probably at least 5000 hex's in the past couple years!!! (maybe more. I didn't count!) The papers need to be accurate. I don't worry to much about the fabric being cut that accurately. I cut 2 1-2 inch strips then into squares. Pin the papers to the fab. and clip the corners. I fold the allowence over and catch at the corners, and also take one stitch on each stright side. Seems to stableize the fab. Whip stitch the hex's together. I remove the papers after I have completely sorounded the middle hex. I use the papers over when I can. Sometimes they will tear a bit when removes, so don't use them of course. I believe there is a site that gives very good instructions. sunshinecreations.com or something like that. I'll see if I can find it and post. Good luck with your GFG. Be warned, it is addicting!!! Have fun. http://sunshinescreations.vintagethr...r-piecing.html This is the right sight. I do mine just like hers, only add the one stitch on each stright side. That is easly removed by cliping the stitch from the front. I leave all the threads.