Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 PM
aussiequilter

Originally Posted by Marjpf
I did hexagons and went ahead and bought the middles. I read too many places where if you cut them yourself they might not always be exact and then they whole thing goes wonky. This is where I bought mine http://www.paperpieces.com/index1.html but also have seen them in my LQS. I really enjoyed doing it, but I like hand work. Hope you enjoy it too.
I have also just started a Grandmother's Garden Quilt. I am using 1" hexagons. Couldn't get the templates, but I do have EQ5 so I printed my own, and will continue to do that.

I also printed the hexagon with the seam allowance (I used a touch more than a quarter inch), and made a master template using plastic so I could fussy cut easily.
When I cut I run the pencil around the inside of the template as well, which gives me the position of the hexagon when I place it on the fabric.

I used index dividers, which will go through my printer; then marked the middle of the each hexagon and punched a hole in the middle of each hex.

My concern also was that the hexagons would get rough round the edges and become inaccurate if I re-used them. I have so far made six "flowers". Some of the hexs have been used at least twice with no problem so far. When they start to get a bit tatty I will simply get rid of them and print some more.

I also have left the outside ring (the background in my case) in, so I lose 19 with each flower.

So far so good. Hope this helps.