View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Pat G

Originally Posted by pgthom
Being a nurse, I believe our training makes us able to talk to almost anyone. As I go about my day, I speak to people I pass on the street, other customers in a store, people in the same elevator, anywhere I may be. It can be as simple as a "good morning", or a comment about the weather, whatever you are comfortable saying, as long as it is pleasant and there's a smile in your voice.

Every parent likes to hear something kind about their child, or how pretty that color looks on them, it can be just about anything you notice. You would be surprised how few people don't respond or at least smile back. It doesn't cost me a thing, only a few seconds effort, and it pays me back just seeing people react.

My late mother was very shy, and she always marveled that I would speak to almost anyone. Why not? We all like to be recognized as unique human beings.

pg---- I was touched by your story. Since I am also a nurse, I agree with you wholeheartedly that it takes so little to make somebody happy. My big thing now that I'm retired is to smile at strangers. It usually results in a wonderful smile back which makes me very happy. It's usually older people who smile back though. We need to teach our young people to smile at one another.
I really miss my relationship with my patients.
My initials are also PG. Doctors used to tease me about my name tag which read P Green. Get it? Pee Green? They thought was funny.