View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Here I is...............nice Heirloom indeed!!

From what I can see from the few photos you have a model 66 (the only one that had the "Red Eye" decals) and since it is a backclamp machine it is either a 66-1 or 66-3 depending on the serial. Which reminds me what is the serial number anyway? Its located in front of the pillar and is stamped on a boss on the bed of the machine.

I have a 66-1 and I love mine!!

As far as the cleaning of it take the bobbin and the needle plates off , the faceplate and the rear inspection plate off. then you can take Kerosene and thoroughly wash the mechanics with the kerosene with a 3/4" or 1" paint brush.

Try not to get to much on the finish of the machine, even though the decals are worn a lot we do not need to soften the japan on the machine. To clean the exterior of the machine you want to use a NON PUMICE hand cleaner (like Go-Jo)with cotton balls and Q-Tips working in small areas and wiping off with paper towels after you move to the next spot. After you clean the machine (it will be a HUGE difference) then use a polish and go over the machines finish. I use "Scotts Liquid Gold" in the pour bottle and it gives it a wet look and will protect the finish and decals.

Be sure to oil everything that metal touches metal and I will include a direct link to a PDF format owners manual for your machine so you can see the thread path and all of the oiling points.

Oh and if you want to polish the parts that are nickle plated use either SemiChrome or Mothers Mag Wheel Polish.

Enjoy your new old machine!!!!

Billy

Here is your link:

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Just click the second one from the top and its a free download.