View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 03:46 AM
Janeen
Banned

Right now the only magazine I get in the mail is Fons and Porters but I have a gazillion books and magazines from years gone by, plus EQ6.... which I, in all honesty, would not recommend to someone with limited funds... simply because you are only allowed to install it FOUR times and then must PAY for any installations after that - for instance, you buy the program, install it. Fine, then you buy a new computer, install EQ, there's two of your installations. Ok, say you have a laptop and want to use EQ while travelling or in the sewing room or whatever, there's your 3rd installation, and then OH NO your hard drive crashes and boom, you use up your 4th installation...
Now the next time you get a new computer you have to PAY to re-install.
The other really rude part is you HAVE to have internet access to even install the program! :shock: ... yes, all of us here do (obviously) but not everybody does and who knows what the future holds? you lose your job, there goes your ISP to save money, and you can no longer get online to install a program you PAID for...
Just irks me no end - can you tell :roll:

Anyhoo, back to the subject at hand.... I have magazines, books, internet etc etc and I look through them a lot for inspiration but a lot of times I want to showcase a FABRIC and wind up doing a fairly simple pattern just to show off the fabric - for instance the snowball and 9 patch I did for the swirl fabric (after the rain) or the squares and 9 patch for the 'midnight' quilt, or the easy pattern from F/P magazine ad - Blue Sky (if you have no clue what I'm talking about:
http://usera.imagecave.com/Mavican/quilts/[url]

Sometimes the FABRIC is 'the thing'

I'm finding out that people who do not quilt - or even sew - are majorly impressed by just about ANY quilt, and intricate patterns that take forever to cut and sew are lost on them 8) :roll:
Which is another reason I like showcasing fabric. I've VERY fortunate that I have some really fantastic options for fabric shopping around here and I've built quite a stash - keeps me busy.... and I need to STOP buying LOL
ok that was a joke :mrgreen:

But I guess my point is, it doesn't have to be a fussy cut, intricate pattern to be beautiful - at least that's my opinion.... with the right fabric choices a simple pattern can be VERY effective.....

I have said repeatedly that you can take ONE pattern and make a huge pile of different quilts just by using different fabrics colors etc (I use 100% cotton - so when I say 'fabrics' I mean patterns and colors)