View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 06:15 AM
salmonsweet

Originally Posted by MissQuilter
How did you lay them out so they are arranged so perfectly? I have the pile of random hexagons thanks to cutebuns, but have not been brave enough to figure out how to arrange them. Yours is beautiful!
Thank you!

I played with the layout for quite a while (dunno about perfect... we always see our own mistakes more than anyone else I guess! :roll: ). Starting with stacks of similar-reading blocks (ie. all the orangy ones together, all the ones with lots of dark brown, all the ones with baby cheetah faces, all the ones with white highlights in them). Then laid out each group and allowed it to start sorting itself, and to start growing together with other groups as they liked.

I don't have a design wall so I laid all the stacks out on an old blanket, and every time I got tired of looking (or started putting pressure on myself thinking I had to somehow "get it right"), I rolled it up and stowed it away for a bit. While it was lying out in the open, I would walk past it and change a few blocks around every so often.

What I've learnt for myself is that there is no one "right" way; just something that "felt right" to me. If you check out the layout suggestions people were posting on cute's final thread, a lot of them contradict each other! And I'm sure each of them is right, in their own personal way.

For me it went best once I allowed myself to just play - having fun, no pressure, allowing whatever wished to happen, to happen. (Elves and fairies at work, no doubt! ;) ) Increasingly I would change blocks, and then shake my head and change them back to their old place. That's how I knew I was getting to a point

Ok this was long - hope it helps any!