View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Mary Ellen

My DH did without sodas or lunch at work for a great long while to buy me a sewing machine from a shop that was going out of business. Got me the floor model, so it did NOT come with an owners manual, or any lessons...what he brought home was all I got. He loved me so much, and had absolute faith that I could use any machine out there...Oh how this princess in the tower fell...

I had learned on an old treadle machine, side loading bobbin that looked and worked more like a shuttle, not round...you just popped it in, and went...hummed along so nice.

Imagine how fruserated I was at trying to figure out how an electric machine worked, and never did figure out that the reason it kept making knots under, was that I was not "threading the bobbin thread"...

So after about 10 years, I gave it away.
We moved to another country (Central America) shortly after I had given away my love gift...and the new neighbor had one just like it...and she knew the bobbin needed threading and had a real owners manual.

I had to sew by hand for several years, but he did buy me another machine...but this time from a shop that was staying open, and with all the lessons I wanted...

Still feel so dumb?
Personally, I feel like this is the gal who sould be wearing the dunce cap...or sign reading DUMMY.

Do I have to sign my name?