View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Old man- New quilter

OK here it is... It tastes real good if you take your time and do it right. ( I didn't say it was healthy ) This is for a LARGE amount and it freezes well.

You will need;
A large capacity sauce pot with a cover (stock pot)( mine holds about 2 1/2 gallons )
A large size frying pan.

1lb bacon

whatever meat you'd like. about 2 lb. total.. I have made this with ground beef, sausage, ground pork, ground lamb, and even chicken chunks. Use what you like or a combo of whatever.

1/2 or more bell pepper ( any color or combo )
1 red onion diced
mushrooms. canned or fresh. If canned, use the water they are packed in also.
At least 2 cloves of garlic
1 - 15oz can tomato sauce
1 - 12 oz can tomato paste
****** do not use tomato puree unless you want to ruin this ***
1 - 16 oz can Italian tomatoes
2 or 3 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. Bob's Dago seasoning ( see below)
Salt & pepper to taste ( this takes a lot of salt but I now use a salt substitute because of blood pressure problems)( told ya before that it ain't exactly healthy)
1 T. garlic salt

Bob's dago seasoning.......

Equal amounts of:
Whole Oregano
Whole Marjoram leaves
Powdered bay leaves
sweet basil
sage
whole thyme leaves
celery seeds
whole tarragon leaves

I make up a jar of this and keep it around for this recipe. About 1/2 teaspoon of each will last for a long time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fry the bacon to a crisp and save the drippings. Set the bacon aside to cool and then crumble it.

BROWN the fresh veggies and garlic in the bacon drippings until the onion is translucent. (Add a little canola oil if you need to.)

( if you burn the veggies, you gotta start over with new ones)

Add the meats and cook until all the red is out.

Dump all this into the large stock pot, add everything else and bring it to a boil. If it's too thick, add water. As soon as it begins to boil, reduce the heat to a slow simmer and cover it.
Simmer for at least two hours. Keep checking it and stir about every 15 min to 1/2 hour. adding water if it gets too thick.

I cook mine for five to six hours or so. It seems that the longer you cook it, the better it is. And it's REAL good the "next day".

Try it, you'll like it..
( if I see this recipe marketed, I'll sue...)

Here's an idea -- for those that don't like the chunkiness....
Strain it through a colander and save the "chunky" for someone who likes it.

Bob