Old 04-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Lacelady
Power Poster

[quote=KR]
Originally Posted by Lacelady
I was asked to post a pic of some of the blocks I started quilting over the weekend, so here goes. I have quilted them as similarly as I can, comparing them to pics in the book. Where I couldn't see, then I did my own thing, in the style of Jane, so to speak. This is the first half a dozen, but I have done about 8 more, so far.[/quote

LOVELY WORK, Lacelady!! I've been "lurking" around the DJ messages and the whole project really intrigues me! I'm going on an extended boat trip next week and taking the beginnings with me. Hope I have the determination to keep at it as well as everyone here is doing.

Lacelady, I read with interest how you're quiliting as you go....very nice! I hadn't thought that far ahead, but it sure makes sense with all that intricate work. Question though: would it work to put the backing on each square along with the batting and then do the quilting as you're doing? Then you'd have the quilted pattern on the back also. Just a thought.

Thank you for sharing your expertise! You are appreciated!!
re the quilting KR, I considered that method with the backing, incorporating it into the quilting as I go. In fact, that's the way I have done it in the past, but usually with wider sashings, so that bulk of seams would disappear a bit more. Plus, doing it that way results on lots of hand hemming on the back that aren't always necessarily easy to line up with even turnings. Hence this more unconventional way I have devised.

Many thanks for everyone's nice comments though. Esq., I do have a design wall, but it's only 6ft square, and half of it is behind a set of drawers that I put in front of it to house my fat quarters, so it definitely needs to come out from behind there, but still wouldn't be big enough for this project. I'll not promise, but will see what I can do.