View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Pamela Artman

My grandmother made traditional scrap quilts, with everything but the kitchen sink. She kept her scraps (everything left over from sewing projects from many years) in a closet in bags and boxes. When she cut out a quilt, she just pulled a scrap from the bag and cut it out, regardless of what print or color it was. She never used a rotary cutter and I remember the fist time she actually bought fabric for a whole quilt top. I tend to like controlled scrappy quilts, or scrappy quilts in one or two colors. I've made three scrappy purple quilts, a scrappy blue quilt, a scrappy teal quilt, and am working on two scrappy burgundy and tan quilts. I use a wide assortment of fabrics, from my scraps (leftovers) from fat quarters and I'll cut a strip or two from each of my yardage fabrics in that color. They key to having an interesting scrap quilt from one or two colors is to use a variety of shades, tones, hues, values, prints, etc. of that color. For instance, in my blue quilt, I use royal blues, baby blues, navy blues, greenish blues, purplish blues and florals, stripes, solids and plaids. When all put together, the colors have depth and seem to sparkle! I just love them! And I like knowing that I am using up fabrics from my stash. It makes me feel good to use that last little bit of some scrap, but it also makes me feel good when I cut a couple strips off a yard and can put the rest back into my stash for another quilt!