Old 04-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Charlee

Ok..as promised...I've posted pics of my vintage machines in other posts (check my profile for topics I've started, one is titled "I think he loves me!" and the other one is titled "Look what followed me home!" for my two "good" treadles, a Singer 9W and a Wheeler & Wilson #8. My Kenmore is shown in "Hey Machine Experts!" :)

This one however...well...let's just say she's had a HARD life! I'm going to do my best to turn that around for her...I've named her "Hazel" after the woman she belonged to many years ago. I bought her from Hazel's grandson, who has absolutely no sense of "heirloom". She's a Wheeler & Wilson D-9, much like my Singer 9W that was made after Singer bought out W&W in 1905. (Made about 1912 according to those in the know at Needlebar) Hazel survived a house fire, supposedly shut off in a room that didn't get burned, but that room must have gotten hotter than Hades, because the machine got hot enough to scorch the wood around her, and the bed of the machine lost the Japaned finish. I think it ended up on someone's porch for too long...the cabinet is in need of help as well.
I figure that I can't hurt the machine anymore than it's already been hurt, or the cabinet either, so this will be my first restoration project. Wish me luck!!

Meet Hazel...much the worse for the wear, hopefully to soon regain her former beauty with a "facelift"!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5374[/ATTACH]

Part of the needle plate, this shows the model and years that this machine was patented.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5375[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-5374.jpe   attachment-5375.jpe