View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 07:24 PM
BarbC

Originally Posted by grandma
After finishing your quilt, do you have any tips you can pass on? You mentioned that it was more difficult than you had anticipated--How so?.
You have to put a fusible woven innerfacing on the back of the T-Shirts which adds time to the process, but you need to have plenty of iron cleaner on hand. No matter how careful you are some of that fusible ends up in the iron.

Couple of things... I ironed my seams open instead of to one side. T-Shirts are thicker than regular fabric and you have the added innerfacing.

Also I did no ironing on fronts of shirt. This would have melted some of the designs. BUT I didn't think about the fact that part of the design might get caught in the seam and so when I ironed them I got melted "stuff" on the iron a couple of times. No big deal, just had to stop and clean it off.

One thing I read and found to be true. Do not fret if you cut off part of the design. As long as you can see the majority of it, it really doesn't show up as missing. I did this on a few blocks where the design was sooo big and they are not noticable.

Also, the innerfacing will stretch one way, just as T-shirts stretch one way. You want to make sure that when you go to put the innerfacing on the shirts that the stretches go in different directions. So like if the T-shirts stretch from side to side, turn the inner facing so that it stretches top to bottom. This stabilizes the fabric.

Once you get going, it isn't difficult and I am already planning another one now that I done one.

Feel free to ask any questions along the way if you make one.

Barb C. in MS