View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 AM
gail-r

Originally Posted by JJs
for 325 dollars you could get EQ6 AND quite a few of the extra CDs... AND the fabric to make your own BOM...

I don't think anybody is worth that much!
I'm very sorry that you feel that way. I teach BOM classes for the fancy embroidery quilts, usually Jenny Haskins quilts since she has some of the most beautiful quilts. As an instructor I have to make sure all of the designs will work for each student, this can mean hours of re-sizing or splitting designs to fit on smaller hoops, or combining designs for larger hoops so that person is able to maximize the large hoops and have fewer re-hoopings. Often times I have to fix small mistakes on the designs, I feel that the people who take my class should have perfect designs. Also, I'm available for students who have problems or questions with a block everyday, they feel that what they learn is worth more than the $25. each month. They not only learn how to hoop for precise placement, they learn how to maximize their machines advanced features, they learn how to fix mistakes so that they don't have to start a blocks over or pick as much. They also develope friendships with other students, get advice with fabric and thread choices, have the opportunity to see first hand different colors and how those colors work for a totally different look.

I know this is much more advanced than the simple BOM that it seamed to be discussed on this thread but I was very hurt by your comment and wanted to let you know that I put many hours in every month to ensure that my students have the very best outcome possible. If I were to break the money down that I make every month by the hours I put in it would probably be way less than $2.00 per hour. Most of us that teach these classes "Do not do it for the money" we do it for the love of quilting and the joy of seeing our students become confident and accomplished quilters. When you go to a show and see a quilt from your class with a ribbon on it you are as proud of you student as you were when your own children succeeded beyond your expectations.

Sorry this is so long but I did feel like you needed to hear from a different perspective so hopfully you will think about this before you make such general negative statements next time.

I do not work for the LQS or own a LQS, I'm an independant instructor.