View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 AM
hazeljane

There are some folks on here who do some truly amazing quilting on a home machine. I bought the cheapest home machine possible that I could do free-motion quilting on a couple of years ago. (My machine bit the dust and I was underemployed). and taught myself how to free-motion quilt on it. I was not great at it.

It really depends on how much money you have saved, and what you want to do. A couple of months ago, my husband bought me my belated wedding present- a Juki 98Q and a GMQ frame. Together they were about $2100. THe Juki is a straight stitch machine- nothing fancy, just a workhorse. I realized that I didn't use all the fancy stitches on my other machine. And I love love love the frame.

IF you buy a mid-arm, you have more room to maneuver the quilt around under the needle. My teensy 5 inch Brother was not easy, and I struggled even with baby quilts.

Others here use other kinds of frames as well. Wander around in here and read your responses. If I were you, I would go to the local shops near you and look at the different options. And then I would comparison shop online. Know what you want, first though. If you are like most of us, the chance to buy a quality machine is rare financially, so pick well.