Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • 1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Pictures. >
  • 1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Pictures.

• 1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Pictures.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:56 AM

Qbee,
    i loooooove your christmas church scene!!
    it's wonderful!! i just adore it!!!

are you going to follow this christmas scene? and make all of your houses 'snowy'???
    that would be really cute for next christmas!!!??!!!
    Old 01-21-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by seymoore
    Okay, I am embarrassed to say - I really cannot figure this out! :-( I have sewn and ripped it out 4 times now. And all I am trying to do is the roof, church and sky template. I did the practice square they suggested, don't know why I can't get this. Would one of you take a picture of how you placed the roof and the church pieces together on the paper? That might help. Okay, I am done whining now - no need to call the whaaaaambulance. I really want to make this church block!!!! Please help!
    Whaaaambulance, funny! I feel your pain and frustration I was in the same situation. But I finally did get it completed. Not perfect by any means but now I wonder why PP? What is the draw?
    Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Laura F
    Originally Posted by seymoore
    That was probably what I needed, but I am still baffled. Maybe I am making this too hard. What I did was measure each area and cut out a piece of fabric including the 1/4 inch seam allowance, but when I sew them together the smaller ones are too small. Maybe I need to not measure and just cut a piece I think is big enough to cover the area. Hmmmm, I think I'm on to something there. Because I see with your pieces they are not cut like mine. Wow, I just wasted a lot of fabric I think. LOL No worries though, it can always be used for something else. Thank you Luv for being so kind to take the time to explain!!! Now, unfortunately, I have to get up early for work and need to get to bed. :-( I will try again tomorrow night. At least now I feel a little more optimistic about it. Thank you!!!
    I wanted to let you know that my first block I tried to save fabric by cutting "just" the right amount. Measure your paper section (include 1/4) and add about 1/2 inch more. You will end up with tiny pieces left over, but your piece will fold over and cover the section way better. I pin my small fabric piece to the paper with my pin running the length of the line and flip my fabric over to see if it covers what I want. If it covers, then I repin (?) the fabric piece with the pins going across the line. For most of my pieces, I pinned them because I did not want the chance of them moving on me. I made 3 church blocks and thought I was getting better with each one, but then ended up taking pieces apart. This was my first time doing pp and I love it. It is a lot of fun, once you get the hang of it. I found out, I can't let my mind drift while cutting and pinning or I cut sky for church. :oops:
    Gosh, unsewing is hard to do with these teeny tiny stitches. I had a mind drift too and forgot to add the 1/4" on one of my trims and cut the paper! Carol Doaks book really helped me with my adventure in PP.
    Old 01-21-2011, 05:05 AM

Still haven't gotten back to my church, but hopefully today. One Carol Doak book I have gives the size of fabric you need for each piece and another one of hers does not. Guess which one I use most? I look at PP as paint by number. I just learned last summer and did nothing else for about 2 weeks, but now back to regular piecing too.

I love all the different churchs - so many are participating - love looking a couple times a day to see the new ones.
    Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
    I did it!! I can't believe it! It took ALL day but I did it! Here it is....my 1st paper piece AND my applique :D I still have to put the cross on it.
    Be kind...LOL!
    Gail - it's beautiful,brought a little tear to the corner of my eye, I wish I had some imagination...
    Old 01-21-2011, 05:36 AM

I am so impressed with what other quilters are doing. What an inspiration you all are. I have fuse-appliquéd, thread painted, and embroidered to embellish. The gray fabric is hand dyed using a time gradient technique.

I can't wait to begin the next block.

Helen31406
    Savannah, GA
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-164838.jpe  
    Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 AM

Oh, Helen that is beautiful. Your windows are outstanding.
    Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 AM

Love those windows and your tree. We may need a separate topic thread showing just everyone's windows. They fasinate me.
    Old 01-21-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
    I did it!! I can't believe it! It took ALL day but I did it! Here it is....my 1st paper piece AND my applique :D I still have to put the cross on it.
    Be kind...LOL!
    Well worth the wait - love your 'extras'! Give yourself a big pat on the back for a job well done!
    Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by helen31406
    I am so impressed with what other quilters are doing. What an inspiration you all are. I have fuse-appliquéd, thread painted, and embroidered to embellish. The gray fabric is hand dyed using a time gradient technique.
    You are an inspiration! Beautiful windows & wonderful applique.
    Is that cat waiting for the 'church mouse' to appear? Cute!