Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 35 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 18th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

18th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Welcome to our 18th Mystery Quilt train ride. (18? Goodness, how time flies when you’re having fun.) This time, our train ride will be making stops at 4 weekly destinations, a new clue each Saturday morning with the final clue given Feb. 24. You will begin cutting and sewing on February 3rd. This train ride is for everyone who loves a good mystery, not just our returning passengers. Confident beginners as well as those experienced quilters should be pleased with this pattern. We all had a great time on the last mystery train ride, and hopefully this one will entertain you as well. So climb on board the train, make your way to the club car for coffee, tea and a snack and get acquainted with your fellow riders. Your returning traveling companions are a hoot, and are all willing to offer suggestions if you are unsure of how to proceed. The quilt should be fun for all, from the confident beginner to the experienced quilter.

I am making a lap quilt that measures 44” x 56” – you can add borders or more blocks to make it bigger. I haven’t decided, as of today, how to finish it with the borders, so will leave you with these dimensions. You can decide when we reach the end how you want to finish it.

You will need scraps – lots of them, the more variety, the more you will be pleased with your quilt. I have stuck to small and medium scale prints, but you can also mix in solids and stripes. I was cleaning the sewing room a week or so ago, and realized that the boxes of scraps are out of control. And neutrals that you will consider as background colors – minimum of 2.5” wide. The more neutrals, the better. However, for the main blocks I stayed away from pastel and light because your scraps will, in many places, be next to a neutral. I also used a constant for one of the pieces, to give it some cohesion. We will talk about that in a couple weeks. I think I used less than a half of a yard.

So … happy scrap diving! Will check in to see your comments, in a couple hours.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 01-27-2018 at 06:49 AM.
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to starting--scraps are abundant here! Thanks, Judy.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Can't wait to begin!

Jan

I'm in and will be sewing and watching from the side lines. Now to dig out my scraps. Thank-you Judy. I have really enjoyed your previous scrappy quilt projects. I left hot chocolate, hot tea and strawberry & rhubarb cobbler with ice cream. Enjoy everyone. Going back to the side lines.

Thanks Judy sounds like fun.
    bjsmith57

Blog Entries
    I'm game for this....if I tie it in with the rainbow scrap challenge (RSC18) I will be doing 2 things at once...we are all great multitaskers!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Thank you Judy all ready have a bin of 2 .5" strips cut and a bin of 2.5" squares to I think I am good to go on this train ride. See you next Saturday
    ​Christine

Judy, count me in! I loved the tablerunner you did last time, which was my first one. Thank you!
    Denise

You do not simply stumble upon the happy life.....you make it!

Woo hoo, lots of familiar faces and a couple of new riders already! Can't wait to get this started!

I did say that this year is the "year of the small item" and the end result could be considered a smallish quilt and I am sitting here saying yes/no/yes/no...but what the heck I am in. I am drowning in scraps and I had already blogged that I had a pile of 2 1/2" squares and strips that I was just going to sew and see what happens...well now I know what will happen with them.

Perfect timing for me. I have been sorting scraps and cutting to use-able strips and squares from 3 inches down to 1 1/2 inches. Have loads of 2 1/2 just waiting to be used. I am now using the smaller scraps - some odd pieces in all sizes and loads of small pieces 7/8 inch and larger - to make a new crazy-quilt style quilt without the embroidery, etc to replace an over 40 year old quilt we use on our bed. There is no batting, just flannel backing, so is good for all seasons. The old one is beginning to wear out. I am hand piecing so I can watch TV with my feet up and also do something while riding in the truck when we are moving cattle here and there. I got about 1/4 done a year or so ago and just started up again last week. Will post a picture somewhere when I get the top done - it will be colorful!!!
    Scraps for 18th train ride will be the same colors - only bigger pieces. I don't even have to look them out because the trays I have them in are still in the living room where I am sorting and cutting scraps. A lot are from extra backing cut off before binding quilts. Ready to have fun with all of you.

Whoo hoo! I will be getting aboard this train! I really enjoyed my first ride on #17, so I will be happy to take another ride with you all:-)
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

So nice to see all the eager participants! Love to see the new faces, too.

I will be trying this one too. Can hardly wait to begin.

Woot Woot. I can't wait!!!!!

I'm in! I get scraps of various sizes from 2 groups so I have a variety to choose from for this project.

Connie

Hey Judy! I'm here again! Unfortunately I am going to have to save the clues. I'm in the process of selling my mobile and hope to move to Ohio in a few months. I've already packed up most of my things, including all my scraps. So, I will be here in spirit and want to see what everyone makes. Have fun everyone!
    Karen

I am not a fabricaholic. I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.

I'll be joining in again this time. Now to find me some scraps.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Well, you sucked me in with "scraps" I have 4 big bins sorted by color! and that doesn't include the "strings" sorted by color. What I don't have much of is neutrals, but I do have some in fq's so I will probably be ok. And today I spent most of the day cleaning up/ putting away stuff that was all over my sewing room so I'm ready. (even thou I have many ufo projects that I could be working on!)

Loves to sew said -- so I'm ready. (even thou I have many ufo projects that I could be working on!)

Don't we all?! But always fun to start a new project, isn't it?
    I'd be ashamed to 'fess up to how many projects are half started, pieces all cut and a few blocks made, then boxed up as my attention wanders to a new idea!. Eventually they will get done ... but not this month or next. LOL
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-30-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    Yay! I love your Mystery Trains Judy. It wont’ take me long to pick scraps because I just organized my small stash a couple of weekends ago...even by color. : )
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Have not seen this before. Can you explain a little more how it works? Id love to see tour last project.

Judy, since we will all miss JustJan, can we dedicate this mystery to her?
    Karen

I am not a fabricaholic. I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.

Blog Entries
    With regret, I won’t be able to join this time. It’s such fun to go along on the mysteries, but maybe next time. I’ll read along and copy the clues...it’s such fun to see the diversity as the projects emerge! Have fun! I’ll put some pecan pie for you at the station. They’re our own pecans this year!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm in, my scraps are growing exponentially. Yay, I get to use up some scraps as they are overflowing out of every container I have.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-30-2018 at 08:57 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 35 1 2 11 ... LastLast