Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 19th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

white pine, you may use charms or layer cake -- might be a little wasteful on some of the cuts, but you probably could make it work. for the light/med/dark fabrics.
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

cathy - love your reds. And yes, the background will definitely play a big part in the finished look. And daunting task all those little strips and pieces. What are you making with them?

cathy, your choices are yummy!!!!!!!!

Judy - this is the pattern I'm using those peices for

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2186698...home_active_16

It's just two different blocks, and I'm going with them finishing at 3" instead of 6". And I'm making it bigger so need around 350 blocks of each. I used mostly scraps from 2017 projects, which included about 300 small HST in neutral shades.

The only bad part, after I got done cutting all of the neutrals, I was digging around and found a small tote of stuff that included a whole bunch of HST neutrals from the 2016 BH mystery. I could have used them if I'd found them sooner.

I'm looking forward to going through my FQ totes to pull out the reds, and then I'll pull from my stash. I plan on going the 4x size. I'm looking forward to this as I love working with reds.

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Judy, I certainly have enough scraps but if I decided to use charms would you estimate how many packs of charms I would need?
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Quote Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
    Judy, I certainly have enough scraps but if I decided to use charms would you estimate how many packs of charms I would need?
    Sorry, would have no idea and wouldn't dara hazzard a guess.

Cathy love that pattern! It is gret for scrappy! Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
    Hi Sunrise,
    Someone else may have a better answer but I figure about 2/3 yd per charm pack. So for the yardage Judy gave at the beginning (1/2 + 3/4 + 1= 2 1/4 yds), you would need about 3 1/2 charm packs. And that's if you can use all the squares. Hope my figuring is right.

Blog Entries
    Note to self. Do not leave fabric on the floor unattended if you have a cat who likes to pee in strange places. He's old and can't help it. I should know better. I thought it was only my socks that he liked to pee on. Poor guy.

Slight delay in fabric selection.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-11-2018 at 02:26 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    Cathy, that is a great pattern to use some of your scraps...my guess is you have a pretty healthy stash.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Okay...thinking about these fabrics:
    Name:  fabrics.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  68.5 KB

Hi all. I hope to board the train. I have a question that may be stupid, but I'm going to ask anyway. How do you determine if a fabric is dark or medium dark? I tend to gravitate towards bright jewel tone fabrics. I appreciate all the tips I can be given.

Those are some pretty fabrics Chasezzz
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2moandjo View Post
    Hi all. I hope to board the train. I have a question that may be stupid, but I'm going to ask anyway. How do you determine if a fabric is dark or medium dark? I tend to gravitate towards bright jewel tone fabrics. I appreciate all the tips I can be given.
    In this case, I would use dark and not medium dark. I had pulled medium darks also but then as I got cutting and sewing, they weren't working well. If you are gravitating towards bights and jewel tones, go as dark as you can with your darkfabrics.

Karen, I love those reds. Those dark reds will be perfect.

I am on again for another ride. #18 is one block from finished and I am ready for a new adventure. (I went to my retreat with one 5.5 in square of fabric short! Rats. Will finish next week-end. Before #19 starts Part II.)

Ok, I'm going to hop on this train!
    This is my first train ride and I am very excited.
    What do you think of these colors?
    Name:  IMG_0209.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  982.8 KB
    Linda ^i^

Momtomoandjo - I have read (somewhere on this board), that if you take a picture of your fabrics in black and white, you will be able to see the values of each fabric and decide if its a light, medium, or dark. I have found that some bright colors actually have a dark value. Also, some fabrics I think are light, are actually medium value when I see it against my other fabrics in a black and white photo. Hope this makes sense.
    Denise

You do not simply stumble upon the happy life.....you make it!

Blog Entries
    I've got to check out my stash.
    Boom 12 - Short & Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by D.Henson View Post
    Momtomoandjo - I have read (somewhere on this board), that if you take a picture of your fabrics in black and white, you will be able to see the values of each fabric and decide if its a light, medium, or dark. I have found that some bright colors actually have a dark value. Also, some fabrics I think are light, are actually medium value when I see it against my other fabrics in a black and white photo. Hope this makes sense.
    D, I saw this tip on a knitting show for mixing yarn of different color value. I’ve now used it for my quilting fabric, too. I’m separating left-over strips from various projects into light & dark, & have used the black & white feature on my phone for this. It does help, surprisingly. I think we can be mislead by color, sometimes, so removing that distraction assists in categorization.

Quote Originally Posted by kwyltaholic View Post
    Ok, I'm going to hop on this train!
    This is my first train ride and I am very excited.
    What do you think of these colors?
    Name:  IMG_0209.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  982.8 KB
    I am totally in love with these fabrics. I can't wait to see this one. I have already designed another one in my head with these, have to look around for something like them.

I’m gong to join this mystery train. I only hope I have enough stash so I don’t have to shop for more fabric. I’ve already spent $$ on fabric this month to finish 1 quilt & start another. I did get some ‘extra’ of those (end of bolt remnants) so I may have enough light fabric.

I spent time yesterday pulling out from my non-scrap fabrics, so I'd have enough to go larger.

I ended up leaving out a lot that was too "in between" so that my dark, mid and light were distinct.

sort of like take everything and lay it out in order light to dark, then removed 2-3 "in between" fabrics so that when you jump from one group to the next, there is no doubt that the dark would look wrong with the darker of the mid group, and vise versa.

So my darks are all more burgundy, my mids are all more bright reds, and my lights are coral/dusty rose/pink shades. I've done enough quilts using color groups instead of constants, and I know that it's easy to get the pattern muddled if you don't have enough distinction between groups. For most of the BH mysteries, she gets around this by using different colors, so you won't mix up a red with a blue, no matter how dark or light you go.

This is an example of a quilt that used red, pink and white. And even with this, there are a few places where the fabric didn't read quite correct for the pattern. I even ripped out several of one fabric as when it was sewn in, it ended up too "in between" and muddled the pattern.

BTW - this quilt was designed by Rhonda

Last edited by Macybaby; 04-10-2018 at 05:31 AM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Great hits for color sorting. Thanks D.Henson and Macybaby.

Cathy that's a beautiful quilt.
    Mary

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast