Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
19th Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

19th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

19th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 04-27-2018, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I was just thinking..( I know it shocked me too)... tomorrow is clue day ,then I remembered oh no it isn't. Now I probably have to do something with my husband. lol. Have a fun weekend sewing.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:19 PM

I’m enjoying see all of the different variations of progress. I’m still so undecided on on what I want to do on mine. I thought about scrappy, but then someone mentioned layer cakes and i’m Leaning towards making it larger. Unsure if I have enough for larger. Then I’m Thinking of using one color for solids. I’ll post pics in a few hours to show my thought process and see what you all think. Maybe I can mix and match my layer cakes. Or my third thought was to see if I had enough of fabric I just love and use that. All I know, I need to get started on this project. But first I need to make strawberry and rhubarb jam and freeze some pie filling of this of strawberry and rhubarb. Then I need to make and freeze apple pie filling and finally make no bake cookies for my hubby. I’ll leave a jar of jam and fresh bread in the club car for everyone.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:25 PM

Happylab: You made my mouth water reading your post! I love Strawberry and rhubarb, I would love to plant some because I haven't seen rhubarb since I moved from Mass. & Conn., and that was a lot of years ago.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:44 PM

Got all the HSTs trimmed. Will sew some together tomorrow as well as cutting the last batch of squares. Whew!
Old 04-27-2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I am not doing this mystery, although I had all intentions of doing so. My arthritis has really kicked in and I can't cut my fabric! I'm saving the clues, of course, and hoping to do it some day. I'm keeping tabs on the progress you all are making and getting inspired. Thank you. (Typing with two fingers is not fun! )
I am in the same boat Evie! I cannot close my right hand all the way - due to my arthritis. I am going to Hand Physical Therapy twice a week, and my grip is getting better. I had the same trouble about 5 years ago, except it was only one finger, now three fingers are involved. Ugh!!!
Old 04-27-2018, 03:23 PM

I'm so sorry, Evie and JeanieG. My hands are stiff, too. Old arther (one of those 'ritis brothers) is doing a number on my hip--chronic pain is so tiring.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
Evie, Sorry about your arthritis. What a drag. For me, it's my right shoulder and sometimes hurts like heck when I'm cutting.

This is the Bonnie Hunter mystery that used the diagonal piece. Thank goodness I only did a quarter size. But you can see how the direction of the diagonal was crucial. I don't remember the name of the quilt but the colors she suggested were based on the colors in the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan. Did anyone else do this one. It is the only BH mystery I've done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593359[/ATTACH]
This was the 2014 Mystery and called Grand Illusion. I have done the last 8 of her mysteries. It was way to busy for me so I changed it up. Here is what mine turned out like:
Attached Thumbnails img_0331.jpg  
Old 04-27-2018, 03:34 PM

That is lovely--your sashing really calmed it down.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:33 PM

Jeanie, I really like how yours turned out. Very pretty. There were a lot of variations on that mystery with people trying to calm the design down. Like I said, it was my first BH and I haven't tried one since.

Happylab, You have strawberries and rhubarb already!! I'm heading to the club car. So nice of you to make extra for us. I can't seem to grow rhubarb. I see these huge plants growing in other's gardens but mine always die. Wonder why?
Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

Jeannie- that's gorgeous!!!