Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
19th Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

19th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

19th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 06-07-2018, 09:02 AM

Nice, Kathryn!

I do at least one red, white, & blue quilt a year. Maybe a blue background w red & white stars... You could substitute any four-patch star there in the middle.

Last edited by IceLeopard; 06-07-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:22 AM

I love how all the quilts have come out. I had done all the clues but the last one before I "hit the road again" Now I'm home and found the final clue, so I can start making blocks tomorrow. Thank you Judy
Old 06-09-2018, 01:17 PM

How is everyone planning to quilt their mystery top? I’ve ripped out 2 attempts so far & I'm not sure I like the 3rd attempt. Any suggestions? I’ve mostly done SID, with 1 top done with FMQ. I’m not experienced enough to decide on a quilting pattern.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:36 AM

Default quilting suggestion

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
How is everyone planning to quilt their mystery top? I’ve ripped out 2 attempts so far & I'm not sure I like the 3rd attempt. Any suggestions? I’ve mostly done SID, with 1 top done with FMQ. I’m not experienced enough to decide on a quilting pattern.
If you have a guide for your walking foot, I love the look of parallel lines going only one way across the quilt, the way I did mystery 16. I went and did one diagonal line, then set the guide to be about 1-1/4" away from the needle. After you do the first line - say, down the middle of one of the diagonal dark sections - go back to the starting place and have the guide sit on the stitching line you ust did, and continue stitching. Watch the guide, not the quilt. Then just keep going until you get to the end of that side, then turn the quilt and continue stitching on the other portion. Roll the quilt after each line and the rolled portion will go nicely through the space between the needle and the machine body.
Attached Thumbnails img_3419.jpg  
Old 06-10-2018, 09:29 AM

Thanks, Judy. I do have a guide & I've used it to do this on some quilted totes I made. I'll use your suggestion, meaning I have a third ripping to do. It will be worth it to have something I like. Should I use a color that blends with the back & a neutral for the front? That may be the way I'll go with this quilt. I don't want to mess it up with the wrong quilting.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:57 PM

Conchalea - as to your thread, use what you like on the front, I can't remember what your top looked like. I like to sort of go mid value - that way it will look nice with light and dark. But then, using a white or very dark on the top is dramatic. As to the back, don't forget that if you are using a dark top thread and a light bottom thread, you will get little pops of light here and there on the top of the quilt. Not enough to be noticeable if your fabrics are busy but something to think about. Can't wait to see your results, and good luck!
Old 06-10-2018, 06:47 PM

Judy, I went ahead & used the same navy thread for top & bottom of my quilt. It’s a navy print on the back, with red, white, light blue & navy on the top. I finished that step, using the guide with my quilting foot. It looks pretty good! Now I’m off to bed, as I’ve been awake since 4:30. Thank you for your suggestions & a fun Mystery!
Old 06-11-2018, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

Judy I love the fabrics you used!!!!! it's dreamy looking
Old 06-11-2018, 08:23 AM

Thank you so much, Judy. Many of my favorite quilts are from your mysteries!
Any hint of when you might do another? I wish I had printed out the instructions for all of these!
Have a lovely summer! Anyone visiting NYC, send me a pm! Dotty
Old 06-11-2018, 10:58 AM

Dotty - I have a listing of all Judy's Train Rides and links to the threads. PM me and I will email it to you!

Finally finished my On Ringo Lake Flimsy, and En Provence (it is quilted & bound). I have another flimsy I completed (Farmer's Wife 30's Quilt), so am feeling good about all that I have accomplished. I did not do this Train Ride because I was so busy with these projects. I am looking forward to Judy's next Train Ride, miss not having some sort of piecing going on. I was involved in the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt, and Pony Club Quilt, the the 30's Quilt, so I had piecing going on for several years as we did the blocks as a group. I really enjoyed that!