Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 14 of 111 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

I cut exactly to her dimensions and printed the pattern from the book. I placed piece one right side up, piece 2 RSDown. I held it up to window light and got the placement to allow 1/4" seam. Then I sewed on the line. ??? I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

That is right but you need to add 1/4 in around the outside of the two pattern pieces in the book. I draw it before I copy it. If you are printing the pattern from the CD it is already there. If that isn't clear I will try to go back it this tread and find where klgreene posted a pic of what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
    I cut exactly to her dimensions and printed the pattern from the book. I placed piece one right side up, piece 2 RSDown. I held it up to window light and got the placement to allow 1/4" seam. Then I sewed on the line. ??? I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I know we are not on Hawaii yet, but I loved the way the block looked in the picture Carol Doaks posted on the color page in the book. Loved the secondary pattern the corners created in the center. I did this to hang over my bed, which uses a scrappy batik quilt. thought you might like to see what 4 blocks looks like in a quilt.

I do feel the white is too stark, and the border too dark, and points don't match -- but it is what it is! I'm the only one who will see it, and I am my worst critic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 01-05-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

That's just beautiful. Thanks for the preview of what we can do with more than one star. It is absolutely stunning!

I love it Judy. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Oh, DARN! And I just recycled my old phone book on Wed.
    I should know better than to dispose of anything.!
    Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor View Post
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but I thought I would share. I find that using phonebook pages make a great foundation backing, its incredibly cheap since you can get them for free and easy to piece on and tear off

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    SheriR, when you said it didn't come out to 12" (12 1/2), did you remember to add your seam allowance aroung the outside of your pieces?
    I think I'm going to DL the dc... I refuse to let this kick my ..... you know what!!
    SheriR~

Blog Entries
    I might be a little early but here is my next one...ALASKA...........
    Patrice

Wow! Beautiful! I'm working on mine now.

Sorry, what the heck did that mean?

I think I'm going to DL the dc... I refuse to let this kick my ..... you know what!!

You are early but it sure is beautiful. Mine is done but I won't post it till Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by wvhill22 View Post

OH BOY I need a nap... Download the the software.....
    SheriR~

Me, too -- give me something to look forward to on Sundays LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    You are early but it sure is beautiful. Mine is done but I won't post it till Sunday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wvhill22 View Post
    Very nice! I'm working on section 9 now.
    tomilu

I have two more sections of my Alaska block and then I will put it together and post a pic. Should have it posted by Sunday. Looks like I am going to be perpetually one block behind unless hubby gives me a sewing day one weekend.... hmmmm... (starts plotting to make this happen).

The blocks that are posted so far are gorgeous!!!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

I'm still hoping to post on Sunday for Alaska. But as I was sewing the sections together, I noticed I have two.....really wrong blocks. It's hard to add #8 back in when you've already gotten to #13, and started sewing together. Another lesson learned, step back and look before you finish putting all the pieces together, it's easier to fix or redo a new section than take it all apart......
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

You are not behind. Not to worry. We aren't doing Alaska till Sunday and besides better late that not at all. My badge is tucked away so I can't find it. This is suppose to be stress free.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
    I have two more sections of my Alaska block and then I will put it together and post a pic. Should have it posted by Sunday. Looks like I am going to be perpetually one block behind unless hubby gives me a sewing day one weekend.... hmmmm... (starts plotting to make this happen).

The blocks that are posted so far are gorgeous!!!

I have been trying all week to post my photo of block #1 Alabama. I think I have finally accomplished it. I have Alaska done as well but don't have a picture to post yet. Guess I will save that for Sunday. Or the next time my internet will let me. I am having so much fun with these blocks.

Love it iwillquilt. I have yet to see one that I didn't like. Amazing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iwillquilt View Post
    I have been trying all week to post my photo of block #1 Alabama. I think I have finally accomplished it. I have Alaska done as well but don't have a picture to post yet. Guess I will save that for Sunday. Or the next time my internet will let me. I am having so much fun with these blocks.
    Great block! Your colors remind me of NM.

LDB

Late to the party

Just found this posting by accidently clicking on the wrong area and now I'm in to deep to quit. Especially since DH and I just had a lively discussion regarding a trivia question about the 47th state admitted to the union (NM in 1912). Yessir, we are truely nerds! Anyway, have order the book and will try to catch up once it is here. Usually run in a state of delay anyway... Am thinking of doing one set of the blocks in Kona solids w/ black background and another in batik watercolors / handpaints with a very pale sky blue background. Any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    SheriR, Those colors are beautiful and will make a wonderful quilt. I think it looks great!

PaintmeJudy, I've been making all my background stars 4" and 5" too. Makes it a lot easier to square up if you put the extra to the outside edge.

Mad Mimm, You aren't behind at all. We are still in the first week, which is Alabama. You've got lots of time.

LDB, Both sound beautiful! Congratulations on doing two sets.

whitepine - yes as to the 5", and the best way to put the 4" half sq triangles in, is to center the point of the background piece under the point of the paper pattern, they line up perfectly with no problem of being too short one way or the other.

LBD - welcome to the party - it's fantastic! Better late than never, I always say.

Kdgreene - we all feel your pain!!!!!
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 01-06-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    Just found this posting by accidently clicking on the wrong area and now I'm in to deep to quit. Especially since DH and I just had a lively discussion regarding a trivia question about the 47th state admitted to the union (NM in 1912). Yessir, we are truely nerds! Anyway, have order the book and will try to catch up once it is here. Usually run in a state of delay anyway... Am thinking of doing one set of the blocks in Kona solids w/ black background and another in batik watercolors / handpaints with a very pale sky blue background. Any thoughts?
    I'm also using Kona solids and am alternating block background between black and snow. My block has been posted a couple days ago.

SO here is my Alabama... and my first ever paper pieced ANYTHING...

It drove me to tears actually. I had a booger of a time getting the center points to match. PLEASE do not look closely. I nearly quit. But I sent a pic to my DEAR sister and she said it was fixable... Not without frustration, I promise. My other choice was to remake it. But I decided to embrace my process??? HAHA It did not measure 12" finished. Not sure where my mistake was there. I'll have to add a border if the other squares make it to 12". Maybe by the time we get to Wyoming I'll have paper piecing mastered?

I'm using a collection of 37 antique red/white/blue 1/2yd MODA fabrics I purchased last summer while swap hopping in Idaho with the above mentioned sister. I will do all my backgrounds in plain muslin. I may purchase a couple of yellow or golds as the MODA collection doesn't have any and it might come in handy in some of the squares. I hope I have enough fabric to finish all 50 states.

Thanks for looking.

~SheriR
    Here are some tips I have discovered. Maybe it will help others.
    1. When you flip and press your pieces be sure you iron up tight against the seam so they will match connecting seams.
    2. When connecting your A & B sections and squares use a scant 1/4 " seam. (ie. stitch a needle wide to the right hand side of the black line.)
    3. DO NOT trim the outside edges of the completed block edges until you are finished. Then when you square up your block it will measure 12 1/2" .

Page 14 of 111 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 64 ... LastLast