Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 98 of 111 FirstFirst ... 48 88 97 98 99 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 2773

Thread: 50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

Wow I wish I was that organized
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

SIGH!! That would never be me.

Blog Entries
    I would never be that organized. I figure I am doing good if I can find the fabric for my current project in the mess that my sewing room has become. Usually it is somewhere on the floor. Before I became addicted to batiks I used to try to save the selvages until I finished a project. I usually change up a quilt in the middle of a project, then I don't have enough fabric. I didn't do very well at that.I have been known to buy a fabric that I already have because I don't remember I have it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Faye View Post
    Today I finished my State Star Quilt. I've had my blocks finished for a while but couldn't decide how to put them all together. I used the Quilt As You Go Block Method & am very happy with the results. I SID in most of the blocks & around the sashing. It is a very heavy quilt so I know it will keep us warm this winter. Here are pictures of the front & back of it.

Attachment 370293
    Attachment 370298
    Patricia..do you or anyone else know how much backing it would take to do the quilt as you go method. Wouldn't it take more than normal?
    Patrice

Sorry Patrice, I didn't keep track, but I think it took about the same as a normal quilt when doing the QAYG block method. I used the same color sashing for the front, back & sides.

I guess you could figure it out by (1) multiplying the # of blocks by the block size, (2) multiplying the # of sashings by their sizes (front, back, sides & between the blocks) and (3) adding these amounts together to get the total # of inches, then convert to yardage.
    Patricia Faye

Quote Originally Posted by wvhill22 View Post
    Patricia..do you or anyone else know how much backing it would take to do the quilt as you go method. Wouldn't it take more than normal?
    Patricia and Patrice, it should take a little more fabric for backing with QAYG. When you make your individual quilt sandwiches for each block or group of blocks, the backing and batting should be cut at least 1" larger all the way around, so you have something to hang on to when you get to the edge of the block. I prefer 2". Then of course the block is trimmed to 12 1/2" before assembling.

That being said, I have no idea how much fabric to buy. Normally for a 90 x 90 quilt you need about 7 1/8 yards. I am piecing mine from my stash so I am not worried about it.

Thanks Nicky!
    Patricia Faye

Whoo Hooo...Only 4 more to go...Here is my #46 Virginia...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    Florence, that is stunning, as usual!! You have done a great job of making that wild fabric work every time!

Here is my Virginia. It is not the same as yours. I am doing this from my iPad as I went to San Francisco for the weekend and don't have the book with me to check. Mine that looks like yours is West Virginia.

Let me know if I need to post a different one or if you do!!

I have almost all of my QAYG sections all assembled and am getting to make the quilt sandwiches. I am planning to do a large all over design on each section, instead of quilting each block.

Here is a photo of my design wall as of yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    Wowser! Florence, this is incredible!!!
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Blog Entries
    PokerDiva, That is one gorgeous block.
    Nicky, Love the reds & black. What great ladybug fabric.

Blog Entries
    things have been a bit...out of whack...in my world lately- i just realized i'm a bit behind posting the pics of my stars--and decided to just finish up - i have them done-so here are the last 6 (last one i posted was utah-told you i got behind)
    so here are-
    vermont, virginia, washington, west virginia, wisconsin & wyoming.
    i have a layout figured out but am busy dealing with some (life issues) at the moment-so won't be thinking about it anymore for a bit.
    i sure love seeing how they are starting to come together!
    Name:  vermont_7.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  725.4 KBName:  virginia_9.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  677.1 KBName:  washington.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  789.1 KBName:  west virginia.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  763.2 KBName:  wisconsin.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  757.6 KBName:  wyoming.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  697.4 KB
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

DUH...That is what happens with old age. That was West Virginia. I too have all the stars done but was just trying to post where I was suppose to. Just gave myself away. Everybody's stars are wonderful as usual and here is the correct star for Virginia.

Blog Entries
    I love all of the blocks. So pretty. I need to make my back but have had my DD, SIL and grandson here since Wednesday, so no sewing here. I will sew tonight. I need to make a postcard for my guild meeting on TUesday them back to my stars. As usual for me, when I am nearly finished I want to throw it aside and do a different project. I will force myself to finish, I can't have another UPO. I am going to join the New Your Beauty group now.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Florence, I REALLY like your Virginia. I think the colors work so well together.
    Colleen, A great looking bunch of stars. I can't wait to see your layout. And best of luck with "life." It does keep coming, doesn't it. Truely, I hope all is OK.

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nickylsf View Post
    I have almost all of my QAYG sections all assembled and am getting to make the quilt sandwiches. I am planning to do a large all over design on each section, instead of quilting each block.

Here is a photo of my design wall as of yesterday.
    AWESOME!!!! OK, you guys have forced ( LOL ) me to buy Carol Doak's book. It is first in line, right after ... Chicken Fowl Quilt commissioned for Christmas (half of blocks complete), Rose of Remembrance quilt I started 2 years go, My Heart is in the Garden Quilt, TAOS BOM, Back to Nature top 90 % done, SANDY Relief Quilts to go to Bumble Beans, Dear Jane, Sylvia's Sampler, Underground Railroad. Seriously, it will be done before all those NOT EVEN STARTED BOMs in the cabinet, BOMS where blocks are complete but not "together", about 20 other various UFOs, and projects marked in magazines. Need I go on and on and on. So I think I just need a trip to buy fabric to relax

Blog Entries
    oh my goodness---there's a NEW YORK BEAUTY GROUP??? how did i miss that??? I love new york beauty blocks! guess i need to go see if i can find it...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Yes there is a New York beauty group. They started Oct 1. I didn't. I have only printed out the patterns. There is a link for the patterns. They are free. I was afraid they would go away so I printed them all out. There are also some other free paper pieced things on the site. Some stars and hearts etc. I wish I had all of the zodiak stars that are there but I missed most of them. I'm not in to the zodiak, I just like them. She is going to have a BOM in 2013 but there isn't any info yet. Just what I need another big project to start on. I look forward to seeing you on the NYB site too.

Blog Entries
    Adnil, you are making me feel a lot better about my pile of unfinished.

CK and Meanmom. I really want to do the New York Beauty. I love that pattern. But I have subscribed to it twice and am not receiving any notifications, so I am taking that as a sign to not start another new project right now. I am barely keeping up with 50 stars so I will stick with that right now. Guess I will go print off the patterns though, just in case I decide to do it another time.

Blog Entries

Adnil, you and Nicky make me tired. But I too have a lot of UFO's. Most of which just need quilting. As for the NYB's , I love them but not doing anymore PP for a while. Hope you guys have fun with it.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm...I'll try again to post my Virginia.
    Name:  Virginia reduced.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  267.7 KB

...and ditto what PokerDiva said.

Sue, your Virginia was worth the wait. And I still don't know how you get them to lay so perfectly.

Blog Entries
    I too have tons of UFO"S. Too many to name. MOst are so close to finished it is almost embaressing. One has been sitting for almost a year and it only needs the binding hand sewed down.

Page 98 of 111 FirstFirst ... 48 88 97 98 99 108 ... LastLast