Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 03-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by SewMomma66
I am a sort of new quilter. I have have completed four lap quilts and two are in progress. Would this be too hard for me? It looks a bit overwhelming but.... What are your thoughts?
Jump right in! what is the worst thing that could happen? I am a beginner quilter too, heck just two years didn't even know how to thread a needle period! You'll find lots of help here, and you can go at your own pace..I know that is what I am planning to do. Many on here already jump started the process and have many blocks done,so they'll be posting tips and tricks and helpful hints for us. :thumbup:
Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 AM

Lesley, didn't you post the length of stitch you are using? I'm trying to be consistent with 1/8" (sorry, don't know centimeters), but wow it's hard to stay consistent.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:23 PM

Found ya'll! Had to install new computer protection and lost some of my bookmarks. Got a little panicky. I'm not joining in but I do like to read about the AOTH adventure.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Kitty, you should join us.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
Kitty, you should join us.
Sorry, I really can't at this time. Just too much to do other than quilting. And my arthritis is acting up something awful. I used the chain saw this week and my right hand is still sore. And that is my dominant hand. Sure puts a crimp in gardening and sewing.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Lesley, didn't you post the length of stitch you are using? I'm trying to be consistent with 1/8" (sorry, don't know centimeters), but wow it's hard to stay consistent.
Not sure if you are meaning applique stitches, or embroidery stitches Ducky. I think I do shorter stitches for the applique, especially round curves, or in the cleavages of hearts. And perhaps a little bit shorter, say 10 to the inch in the stem stitches. I'll try and take pics tomorrow with a tape measure beside them for comparison.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:51 PM

Thanks, Lesley. I am stitching on the fourth large petal. This is going to SUCH a learning process! I keep thinking, "It can't be that hard." But while I'm stitching, I'm amazed at how easily it is to mess up. I will not give up. I will conquer this.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Oh goodie...more pics!

I did finally finish the embroidery on that silly block #14 today during the ball game (which we lost by 2 little points...I'm bummed). But I got that block done! DH says it looks ok. At this point I'm apologizing to Aie about my ugly comments about the workmanship on the blocks in the pics...:oops:..I'm thrilled that the pics I show are NOT that close!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks, Lesley. I am stitching on the fourth large petal. This is going to SUCH a learning process! I keep thinking, "It can't be that hard." But while I'm stitching, I'm amazed at how easily it is to mess up. I will not give up. I will conquer this.
What amazes me is that I can be going along and everything is looking really good and then one silly little piece won't do what it's supposed to and I have little points here and there. What's with that? When it's going good, shouldn't it keep on going good?

It has been a great learning experience so far. I am determined to master needleturn.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:06 PM

Ducks, I only have one piece that will never be cut. It's a fat quarter of Liberty of London fabric that I bought way back in Michigan in 1996 or 1997 or 1998. It is 100% cotton but feels like 100% silk! Nothing special about the pattern - a small floral print, but I bought it just because I liked how it felt! Talk about fondling fabric - I'm surprised there's still enough of it left to feel as I stroked it so much while I was at the expo there, manning my booth!

No, this expo wasn't quilt related, but religion related. I used to work for the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod at the headquarters in Milwaukee. We put on WELS Expos all over the country to bring the Synod to the people, explaining exactly what we did.

I was the divisional secretary for Parish Services - had a bunch of men for bosses & loved every minute of my time there. Only reason I quit was I moved to New Mexico & it was just too long of a comute!