Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 10-14-2011, 03:49 AM

Welcome, Grama! Glad to have you on board with us. When you get your book, please give us all the juicy details of how you are going to make your quilt. Yes, we are a nosy bunch, but kind and very supportive! I'm talking info like - 10" block, black background, hand applique, batiks - that sort of stuff. We have all sorts of combinations & even though we are all doing the same quilt, there isn't one quilt which looks like another one! This group has een ispired me to make changes to the blocks! Some of the pieces are troublesome, so we have been "beefing" them up to whatever suits our pleasure. Our motto is "It's my quilt, I'll do whatever I want!"
Old 10-14-2011, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
Originally Posted by sandpat
Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
.. I hear you quilt as you go on DJ? But then Losie also mentioned something about you 'quilting' blocks together and then machine quilting the top??
I'm not getting that - I've actually been considering doing the entire AOTH quilt by hand since I haven't machined anything at this point [of course, I'm only on the sixth block...]

Is there a good tutorial or any advice on how to proceed by hand as a QAYG??
Gus
Hi Gus, I'm not Lesley of course, but I can point you in the right (I think) direction. Here is how she, I, Elle, Jan and probably a few more have done our Jane quilts. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28063-214.htm I seriously considered doing my AOTH this way as well...but I decided that I would like ALL the quilting to show on the back for this one and also I want the back to be 1 piece. So...I am going to quilt in sections, but the back will only be 1 piece. There was a tute on this method on the board also. That method is a machine quilted method though.

I loved how Jane turned out and the bonus was that when I was finished piecing my blocks, all the quilting was also done. Anyway, the link is to where Lesley started her quilting on Jane.
I've read over everything...great stuff!! thanks. I have another thought though. If you stitch in the ditch at any point at all for your final quilt, wouldn't it be easier to make your final quilt sandwich with top batting and back sections?? when you sew your blocks together carefully you will be stitching in the edge of the block ditch wouldn't you? Then all your stitches would show and you would be dealing with small pieces at a time???
I'm probably answering the wrong way, but I'm not sure you have found how the top/batting is sewn. You hand quilt all your blocks (but not close to the edges), then you trim up all the blocks with the batting (only) attached. Flip them over and sew the blocks into rows, etc....then hand sew your batting together. THEN...lay the whole top/batting attached on the backing, baste and THEN do your SITD quilting (which you can do on the machine or by hand. So the SITD is done last and is used mostly to hold the entire quilt sandwich together....ok...sorry...I probably totally misunderstood your question...if so, maybe Lesley or someone else can answer as well.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:01 AM

Hi ladies,
Hope I'm not sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, but here is the QAYG method I use. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52698-1.htm
Old 10-14-2011, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Rox, you aren't "sticking your nose in"...you are adding more info! Thanks...I read the 1st page...I like the method and will look at it further. It DOES add sashing and I can't do that with mine at this point...but I can see it working really well for other layouts.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Helloooooo everyone!!! Another week has flown by & here I am posting the beginning of a new week. Tomorrow begins Week #20. It's our first block outside the center of the top, Block #13. I beefed up the center leaves a bit & probably should have done the same to the scrolls, but I left them as is. This block really relies on the embroidery to make it come alive.

Happy stitching

Block #13
[ATTACH=CONFIG]272085[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272032.jpe  
Old 10-15-2011, 08:20 PM

beautiful
Old 10-15-2011, 09:00 PM

Lovely - I think I prefer the beefed up version.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:12 PM

I had almost finished appliquing my current block when DH said that the centre circle was not quite in the centre. I said that was just too bad and it was staying (it was already glued and tacked cos it wouldn't stay put).

Then I stared at for the next 12 hours trying to convince myself that I didn't care ............yes, you guessed it............I pulled it off.

As if I'm not slow enough without doing stuff twice.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Kathy, all your blocks are beautiful, as is your embroidery.
Lovely to look at.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

LOL Dee...don't ya' just love them for helping out??!! LOL! I get aggravated when DH does stuff like that, but I'm really glad he does. I'd have hated to not notice it until after quilting if it was something to really bother me!

Kathy....I really really like the beefed version better..yours is a beauty!