Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Any interest in a new Block of the Week? >

Any interest in a new Block of the Week?

Any interest in a new Block of the Week?

Old 06-17-2020, 12:31 PM

Smile week 5 units

Week 5 completed... all ready for Week 6 .... Really enjoying working on these tiny gems
Attached Thumbnails img_0828.jpeg  
Old 06-18-2020, 07:00 AM

Week 6 coming up tomorrow. This will be the last batch of components, and next week is the reveal. Unless y'all would like an extra week to play with them and see what you can come up with?
Old 06-18-2020, 08:15 AM

Next week for the reveal is fine with me. That will make the 4th quilt top to assemble. Then that will give me 12 to quilt. I've would have been finished quilting the others except I'm trying out different free motion quit designs.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:40 AM

I just was reading today to see if anything was happening and I'm so happy for the quilt tutorial.I have copied all the directions so I can try this.I have never made a corner beam unit.This should make the old brain wake up!
Old 06-18-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rosemary Attaway View Post
I just was reading today to see if anything was happening and I'm so happy for the quilt tutorial.I have copied all the directions so I can try this.I have never made a corner beam unit.This should make the old brain wake up!
Be sure you read the posts in between the tutorials too, Rosemary. Some of them had minor errors. And since the time to correct a post is very short, I can't go back and do that.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:34 PM

Week 6:

You will be making two kinds of blocks this week, but only a few of the first and one of the second.

The first kind has several different names. Triangle in a Square, Peaky and Spike, and V-blocks. There are at least two rulers/sets of rulers for them, Fons & Porter Tri-Recs and Deb Tucker’s V-Block tool. There is also a set of directions for creating templates for it at the Quilter’s Cache:
https://www.quilterscache.com/F/Fift...ightBlock.html. You’ll need to modify it for 3-inch finished squares. (Ignore the four-patch directions there. All we are interested in is the first part. ) You can also paper-piece it with foundations from https://www.generations-quilt-patter...ilt-block.html

The first set has the large triangle peak of #1, with #2 as the side triangles. Make 2. Remember that they need to be 3.5". (Queens will make 4, at 5.5".)

The second set has fabric #3 as your peak, with the side triangles of #1. Everybody will be making 4.

Your third set has fabric #4 as your peak, with the side triangles of #1. Again, everybody will be making 4.

The last block is another oldy with several names. Square in a square, diamond in a square, square squared. All of you will be making just 1. Use whichever two fabrics you please, one for the center and another for the four side triangles.

Again, there are multiple ways to make it, with specialty rulers, rotary cutting, or paper piecing. There is a link for paper piecing, as well as charts and directions for rotary cutting here: https://www.generations-quilt-patter...ilt-block.html.

Cut your center square at 2 5/8 inches. That site says to cut 2 squares at 2 3/8 inches and cut each in half diagonally for the side triangles. I’d bump that side triangle dimension up to a 2.5 inch square and after sewing on the side triangles, trim down to 3.5 inches to square the block. (Queen people, cut your center square at 4 inches and the squares to make your side triangles at 3 3/8 inches. Again, I’d bump that up to 3.5 inches and trim the oversize block down to 5.5 inches.)

Attached Thumbnails v-blocks-diamond-square.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-20-2020 at 11:59 AM. Reason: per member request
Old 06-19-2020, 03:48 PM

This seemed like a nice challenge. So yes, I'm in. In fact, all but step 2 is complete.

Well except the step 6.

I'm using different values of green with a shot of violet. Used the back of one fabric to have a lighter medium value.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
This seemed like a nice challenge. So yes, I'm in. In fact, all but step 2 is complete.

Well except the step 6.

I'm using different values of green with a shot of violet. Used the back of one fabric to have a lighter medium value.
I just plugged that into EQ8. Is the violet Fabric #3? That's going to look fantastic!

I think Watson is going to have the brightest, though.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:31 AM

Looking at your samples did you use fabric #3 in one set?
Old 06-20-2020, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
Looking at your samples did you use fabric #3 in one set?
! You're right. Set 2 should be Fabric 3 for the peak and #1 for the side triangles.

If you've already made them with #2 as the peak, don't panic. It will still work, just a bit different.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-21-2020 at 04:49 AM.