Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Any interest in a new Block of the Week? >

Any interest in a new Block of the Week?

Any interest in a new Block of the Week?

Old 05-28-2020, 05:04 AM

That's how I wind up with bazillions of UFOs, working on more than one quilt at a time. And then theres a new magazine or book or pinterest posting and it won't hurt to just pull some fabrics to see how they look. Right? And then you have to cut out the pieces for just one block, just to see how it goes together. And before you know it, you're into yet another quilt...
Old 05-28-2020, 05:39 AM

I've caught up just in time 3 and half inch squares all cut a HST done. I'm doing scrappy.
Attached Thumbnails half-sq-trianles.jpg  
Old 05-28-2020, 11:07 AM

M-fay that is going to look wonderful. What is your other two color choices?
Old 05-28-2020, 04:01 PM

I think I am ready for clue 3. I just cant get picture to load. I am using pinks and gray and white
Old 05-28-2020, 04:44 PM

Queenbarbie white and light blue I hope I've put the right blue with the red. I had more light blue in my scraps than dark.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:40 PM

Week 3

This is a rather odd unit, but very useful. Deb Tucker calls it a corner beam unit, because it looks like the beam of a spotlight coming from one corner.

You will be making 40 units total. Your Fabric #3 will be the center “beam” on all of them. 32 of them will have Fabrics #1 and #2 as the side triangles. 8 of them will have fabrics #1 and #4 as side triangles.

(Queen quilters will be making 48 total: 40 of them will have Fabrics #1 and #2 as the side triangles. 8 of them will have fabrics #1 and #4 as side triangles.)

Important! Half of these units will need to be mirror images. See the picture!

Deb has a tool for these (she has a tool for everything!) And a video on how to use it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Myn-ijuO2U

But you can also paper piece it. There is a pdf pattern here:
https://scissortailquilting.com/quil...ilt-block-unit.
It’s very convenient that those are for 3-inch blocks. There are numerous youtube videos on how to paper-piece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Kx4Q7JSwQ is a good one

That page says paper piecing is wasteful, but there are ways to reduce the waste. I take a paper-piecing pattern, make an extra copy, and cut the different shapes into templates, adding a 3/8 inch seam allowance on all sides. If you cut your pieces in two layers, right sides together, you will automatically have the correct pieces for your mirror images. The center beam is best made by cutting from a 4-inch (6-inch) square so that the grainlines are on the edges as they should be.

If you have one of the EQ quilting programs, it will only take a few keystrokes to make one. From the upper left corner, draw a line to the center of the right side and another one to the center of the bottom. Print out your desired size.

(I can’t seem to find a link to make 5-inch finished corner beams. If you need a foundation block to photocopy, PM me and I’ll snailmail you a copy.)
Attached Thumbnails corner-beam.jpg   corner-beam-r-w-b.jpg  
Old 05-29-2020, 01:57 PM

What size are these to be ?
Old 05-29-2020, 02:13 PM

Since I am mostly lurking and not sewing or cutting yet....Maybe soon.... This is a corner Beam for a 5 inch foundation pieced pattern from EQ7. When you print it, make sure you measure the block and see that it is truly 5 inches (5.5 inches unfinished). Not all printers print true to size. I, also, have included a 5inch templates pattern, with the same notation. After printing, make sure it will measure 5.5 inches before finishing.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
What size are these to be ?
Same as the others: 3.5 inches (unfinished) for lap quilts, 5.5 inches unfinished for the queen people.

Barb in Louisiana, thank you! How do you make EQ files into PDFs? I wasn't sure how to do it and still make sure that the blocks came out in the correct size.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:25 PM

Thanks Iceleopard