Farmers Wife week 4 Blocks 7&8 photos >

Farmers Wife week 4 Blocks 7&8 photos

Farmers Wife week 4 Blocks 7&8 photos

Old 09-02-2010, 12:08 PM

[quote=PJL]
Originally Posted by sew cornie
Originally Posted by PJL
Originally Posted by sew cornie
......BTW, I began quilting 20 years ago, so I've had lots of practice. My goal is to make this my most accurate quilt yet and potentially show-worthy.

Potentially show-worthy was my goal with this too! And then we went to the MN State Fair last Saturday and I saw the quilts there.....oh dear, show-worthy may be a goal set too high! The winning State Fair quilts were absolutely gorgeous. Many of them were so much applique! Of course there are various categories of quilt submissions but those applique ones were the most beautiful. Lots and lots of work went into them!

I know exactly what you mean. I went to the OR State Fair yesterday and am so in awe of the work that's done on the quilts. Last year, I thought, "No way could I ever do this." This year, I'm thinking, "Maybe so. Won't hurt to try." I'd be very happy just to have one hanging alongside the others, ribbons or not. I'll give it my best and see what happens. You can do it too!
Thanks for the boost! I am going to still try for next summer which is about how long this FWS is going to take! I'll be happy if they even allow my entry. I've heard they are very particular in entry allowance. One gal said they wouldn't take hers because her binding wasn't evenly divided between front and back. So at least I know to be very accurate when I bind!

Although one of my dreams is to have one in the State Fair, I wonder if starting with a county fair entry would be an option just to get some experience.

I hope we both have entries next year!
Thanks for the tip on the binding. I wouldn't have thought of that. I'd like to shoot for the County Fair next year, but if I'm going to enter this one, I'd have to really step up the pace. I only know how to hand quilt, and at that, I'm terribly slow. It will take several months or more. Still, it's good to have a final goal in mind. Best of luck to you!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:27 AM

I'm a touch behind but am catching up. All the Blocks look wonderful! Love all the colors!
Here are my blocks #7 and #8's for both the 3" and 4" that I am doing. I still need to square and ect. but will do that when done and ready to put together.
Judy

4" Block #8 Bouquet Scrappy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110765[/ATTACH]

3" Block #8 Bouquet 30's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110766[/ATTACH]

4" Block #7 Birds in the Air Scrappy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110770[/ATTACH]

3" Block #7 Birds in the Air 30's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110771[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-110760.jpe   attachment-110761.jpe   attachment-110765.jpe   attachment-110766.jpe  
Old 09-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Amazing job JAGS, beautiful work!
Old 09-04-2010, 06:16 PM

Gorgeous. Love all the colors.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by leakus
Amazing job JAGS, beautiful work!
Thanks, these are all such fun to do! I just received the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler Book for my Birthday and it looks pretty cool and inviting too.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:57 PM

Well, I'm starting to catch up! It took me half a day yesterday to do Birds in the Air. I just finished Bouquet and it's only 2:00. Maybe I have some hope of catching up by the end of this holiday weekend.

I paper pieced Birds in the Air, and did the flower and leaf part with paper piecing on block 8.

I think I can manage 9 & 10 with just rotary cutting and sewing.

Birds in the Air
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112759[/ATTACH]

Bouquet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112760[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112754.jpe   attachment-112755.jpe  
Old 09-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Very pretty-love the red fabric. I haven't tried paper piecing; using templates and lots of praying, ripping, then resewing LOL.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:57 PM

Lookin' good, Nonnie.

Paper piecing is fun to learn, Jan. Look at a vid on youtube if you haven't already. Or, buy Carol Doak's DVD. The disc is a little too long and compartmentalized for my tastes but still educational.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
Well, I'm starting to catch up! It took me half a day yesterday to do Birds in the Air. I just finished Bouquet and it's only 2:00. Maybe I have some hope of catching up by the end of this holiday weekend.

I paper pieced Birds in the Air, and did the flower and leaf part with paper piecing on block 8.

I think I can manage 9 & 10 with just rotary cutting and sewing.
Very well done Quilting Nonnie!! Preety blocks. I am still struggling with PP but will try again.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by JAGSD
I'm a touch behind but am catching up. All the Blocks look wonderful! Love all the colors!
Here are my blocks #7 and #8's for both the 3" and 4" that I am doing. I still need to square and ect. but will do that when done and ready to put together.
Judy
Love your color choices :thumbup: