Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Farmers Wife Week 5 Blocks 9 and 10 Photos >

Farmers Wife Week 5 Blocks 9 and 10 Photos

Farmers Wife Week 5 Blocks 9 and 10 Photos

Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I like to use a bit of purple (any shade) as a punch as well.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I've also noticed what a difference white makes to quilts. I just don't "do" white ... in clothing, decorating, quilting etc. Though, because of the beauties I have seen here, I may just have to get over it and give 'er a try! :)
Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I've also noticed what a difference white makes to quilts. I just don't "do" white ... in clothing, decorating, quilting etc. Though, because of the beauties I have seen here, I may just have to get over it and give 'er a try! :)
I see using white with colors with a clearer or brighter intensity. Cream, like muslin, would help set off the earthier colors I tend to use. My DS, who used to manage a "calico" dept of a large fabric store, always said that Moda fabrics tend to have a gray look to their colors. I use a lot of Moda. Black on the the other hand goes with both intensities (clear/bright and earthy/gray) as it encompasses all colors.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by QuiltE
I see using white with colors with a clearer or brighter intensity. Cream, like muslin, would help set off the earthier colors I tend to use. My DS, who used to manage a "calico" dept of a large fabric store, always said that Moda fabrics tend to have a gray look to their colors. I use a lot of Moda. Black on the the other hand goes with both intensities (clear/bright and earthy/gray) as it encompasses all colors.
Thanks for the colour lesson. It makes sense. It fits with what one lady explained to me as to why she sorts her stash according to "white" and "brown" base. While yellow, green and orange go together, we sometimes say, they don't and it's all because of the white/brown mix. That made sense when she said it, and you brought it back to my mind!

I have SEW much to learn about colours! :)
Oh the joys and benefits of being here on the QB!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Power Poster

Angry My messed up photo pairs

I messed up on my pairs so will post these 4 all together here
Attached Thumbnails fws-seven-eight.jpg   fws-nine-ten.jpg  
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Really great blocks, OK. Sorry I didn't see them sooner--I'm still learning my way around the new format here. (I describe it as swimming in mud, but I'm gettin' there LOL). I really like the blue & white-your triangles are all so perfect. Great job! I've missed my FWS fix lately-thanks!
Old 11-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, Jan. My collection of CW fabrics is all over the place, so I never know what I color choices I am using with each block. OBTW I have started Barbara Brackman's CW blog blocks too. http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/ I figured I was messing up my sewing room one with these I might as well do the second sampler!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 AM

oksewglad, love your blocks! Keep the eye candy coming.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Thanks, Jan. My collection of CW fabrics is all over the place, so I never know what I color choices I am using with each block. OBTW I have started Barbara Brackman's CW blog blocks too. http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/ I figured I was messing up my sewing room one with these I might as well do the second sampler!
Those are lovely ... each one unique unto itself!
Me thinks it's time that you get a design wall, my dear OK! .... I was making mine and stashing them and got so lost. They're now up and in full view as I make each block.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

Those are lovely ... each one unique unto itself!
Me thinks it's time that you get a design wall, my dear OK! .... I was making mine and stashing them and got so lost. They're now up and in full view as I make each block.
Thanks QE. My CW bin is made up of mostly scraps and FQ's a couple of yardage pieces. The sashing will have to be pretty neutral to tie all these together. Next ones I make I will use some of the more interesting colors/designs. I do have a design wall, and they are up on it. It's the fabric that's all over. It's like my CW bin exploded and then I decided to do a fund raiser mini quilt for a dear friend who lost her husband to cancer (FR is Sunday) so I have 3/4" scraps all over! Look for a new post from me sometime tonight. FYI I think I am ocd! LOL

Last edited by oksewglad; 11-11-2011 at 04:28 PM.