Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Week 6 Broken Heart & Boy's Playmate Photo Page >

THE FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Week 6 Broken Heart & Boy's Playmate Photo Page

THE FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Week 6 Broken Heart & Boy's Playmate Photo Page

Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM

You're right, Jeanie: NO APPLIQUE!! 3 summers ago I cut out pieces for an 18" pillow top to work on while I sat on the deck listening to ballgames. 3 summers later I have about 8 of the 80 pieces sewn down. This is another one of those projects that's going in The Box That Will Never Be Opened.

The pattern I mentioned before that I'm wanting to do is called Covering America. It's 50 9" blocks named for the 50 states. It's shown in red, white & blue but I'd like to do it in batik scraps. It can all be rotary cut, pp, or templates (all included) and there's only ONE applique block (I can handle one LOL). I'll attach a link to it, hope it works.
http://www.quiltandsewshop.com/Cover...erica-Pattern/

Another one I've been looking at is Nearly Insane (I don't have a link but you can Google it) and Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. Has anyone tried either of these?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 AM

I have the Slyvia's Wedding Sampler and it's very similar to FWQ with about 15 duplicate blocks and several appliqué. I like the Covering the States but I don't know if that would satisfy QuiltE and the other Cunucks so I did a little exploring and QuiltE...I found something that you might take off on. http://www.first-school.ws/activitie...anadaquilt.htm

It's actually a site for school teachers but it gives a history of all the provinces and territories and their flags, flowers, and birds. It wouldn't be too hard to come up with a really nice quilt that would portray your country. That would be something fun to work on.

If we combines both ideas, we would have a total of at least 91 blocks if we just did the provinces. I learned that Canada means small town of community and we are a community of quilter's. Now for those in Australia, Netherlands, Brazil, or any others that care to join, there has to be something similar for your counties but I haven't googled that far. It might include historical places or something representing famous people from your country. Maybe those doing the
Covering America could include blocks that represent where you live...kind of a summary...and you could do blocks that would have more detail for your countries and include only one or two for the US and other countries represented. Each of us would have a very different quilt but something that we all have in common too. Now I'm just thinking out loud. More comments from more people please.

It would have a similarity to what QuiltE is doing with her challenge in that it would be patriotic but it would be blended to include something from each country in some way. Truly an international effort but weighted to which ever country we call home. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 AM

Instead of countries, why not turn the clocks back to the year of 2000 and make a red, white and blue for it?? I have fabric for it but no pattern. Not a city or country theme. Centennial theme. Good keepsake for families. I looked at Sylvia's wedding quilt from Elm Creek; out of 140 blocks only two were applique. Doable. But we do have time to look at different projects.

Please, JanieW, tell us more about your greenhouse.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:44 PM

Ggal, I like the idea of different blocks for our friends. I worried about QE and the others when I mentioned Covering America. That would make a nice size quilt with the extra blocks, too. I liked that this one didn't have sashing & cornerstones-a different look all together.
Thanks, QNS for the info on Sylvia's quilt; I think I'll check out the book and patterns. I guess I could do 2 applique blocks if you guys make me LOL.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

In my poor little mind, I've been rolling around an idea of a "location" quilt, similar to GGal's hybrid quilt with 9" blocks. We could also incorporate our own personal heritage ie, I'm Swedish, German and French and find blocks to cover those nationalities (Fleur de Leis for France) Just a thought.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 PM

I love the idea of a internationsl quilt that represented each of our country's & maybe states. Carol Doak has Mairners Compass book that has a compass for several country's. I've been plannin' ta put pictures up of this book but have had trouble getting my new computer ta work wireless. Maybe I'll have ta wire it up.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:07 PM

Maybe we should start a new Pony Club thread for the discussions on the "next quilt". Seems like it does not belong here on Week 6. LOL Any suggestions on what it should be labeled???
Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Power Poster

How about "PC'ers, the Next Ride?" or something like that==good idea Jeanie.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

Hello Ladies ... thanks for thinking of me, re the next project and being concerned. However, I'm not the only non-Americano!!! Though I don't want you to change your plans just for me. In all honesty, I think I'd like something different than a sampler, though I really have no idea what would be a good quilt-a-long project. I know it works well for us as a group and I'm having a great time. I didn't get in on all the camaraderie and fun times together, which is one of the reasons I jumped into the PC, as I was green with envy on the fun times you had together during FWS that I missed with my late arrical to the journey.

I'm sure that something will come up that'll be a perfect project .... and we'll all be anxious to get into it!

And now ......... I'm off to see if this week's threads have arrived on the scene!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 PM

I don't know that I will be ready to do another sampler quilt either. I do like the PPing, so maybe will be looking for one of those to do...I did but this pattern to make "someday" called Raindrops http://www.quiltworx.com/?cat=45

I had never pp'd when I bought this, just like the way it looked.

Carrie