Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 27 Block 53 Lucy & Block 54 Magnolia

The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 27 Block 53 Lucy & Block 54 Magnolia

I couldn't seep so I decided to get up & post this week's thread.. I had to walk away from last week's Lily,,so many holes from ripping & resewing..

This week should be easier..I've been busy with my sewing group here in NC.. we put together 2 quilts for Carolina Comfort & have several in the works. Just before this past Christmas the group had a request from a shelter fot 60 quilts for the new additions to the home..They got it done..amazing..They had 3 weeks notice..

Honchey wonderful news for the shelter. On Magnolia center piece of pp, I turned the pattern over and sewed on the back side of the pp pattern and made other adjustments on the color placement. Name:  1-DSCN0370.JPG
Views: 532
Size:  93.5 KB
    Name:  1-DSCN0369.JPG
Views: 531
Size:  84.0 KB I liked Magnolia better this way. Lucy is a pretty gal in pink.

Pretty, bright colors for your blocks this week Nina..

I'm going to try to mirror image Magnolia..my printer back home is way better at preferences than the one here ..I can't find it.. oh well..

QNS, Your Magnolia looks very nice with the modifications. I've switched up the color placement on blocks several times-- it's a homemade quilt without any rules, after all. :-)

Here's my 2 blocks. Ladies you can trace on back and sew on other side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

buddy'smom, It's so fun to see the mid-size print 30's fabrics. They aren't so common as the little prints. :-)

Thank you, we had a shop about 45 minutes from where we use to live and they always had great sales now there about 1 1/2 hrs away.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

Pretty fabrics, ladies. Here are mine:
    Name:  Lucy and Magnolia.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  161.2 KB

Really pretty blocks this week, ladies. What a nice variety of colors. As you can see, I have an "oops" in my Magnolia. It can be one of the Pips.Name:  53 & 54.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  508.2 KB
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Blog Entries
    I was just noticing all the pretty blocks you folks have been making. I have just started with a bit more paper piecing. I know you have weeks to go, but do you think this will ever begin again? Are you all making these blocks to use in your own quilts or charity or maybe both. Just curious.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

Pretty blocks ladies! Mine will be late (again) as I am out of town this week.

Hey Susan,if you have the book jump on in! This was my first attempt at paper piecing too and I have found that I love it. And I learn so much from these ladies who are so encouraging and helpful. I am not making a charity quilt, decided to do one for me, but I do try to make two of each block so I can have one for my daughter. I hope you decide to join in : )

JuneBillie, just jump right in, right now. It probably will not come again. Yep, we are slightly over half done, so join us on our current blocks and work yourself back over what we have done... going forward with us, and then doing one or two backward each time. We are waiting to cheer you on, offer help, and encourage you along the way. It will be your quilt made the way you want it to look. These ladies are the best to learn from...I have fouond new ideas that work pit great. All have enriched me life of quilting.

Yes jump in, I just started in Jan. I got the book for Christmas and this one will be mine. PP is simple once you get the hang of it and you can trace on back to make the right.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

JuneBillie, I hope you decide to start 'in the middle' and post blocks with us. I noticed the thread for the Farmer's Wife Pony Club (a similar quilt, same author, but 8" blocks), and tried to start from the beginning after the others had already finished, and it wasn't nearly as much fun as participating together on a weekly basis, all at the same time with others. (I'm afraid I gave up on PC for a time, but might get back to it later.) It's so fun to see other people's choices of how they made the same pattern that you have just made yourself! I have only paper pieced a couple of the blocks. I prefer to use the templates. The CD from the book is very handy to have and presents the patterns both ways. There is also a list of rotary cutting widths where that method can be used. If you start this week, you could finish with us the next 50 or so blocks-- and using sashes or borders or the setting pattern from the book, that's a good amount for a respectable size quilt! And as QNS says, you can always add a block or two to your weekly post if you want to catch up. Many of us have fallen behind weekly and go back to the proper thread and post late. I certainly have done it more than once! :-) Please join us!

I agree givio, I had stared the PC a while back but never finished, someday. I have also started the Hobo quilt and love this one, I will get it finished, as I think I have at least half the blocks done. As you say its fun to do together.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

Which Hobo quilt Buddy's Mom? I have one that I never started..It has a lot of a lot of applique.

buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

I rejected the book because it did not give tribute to Britt, Iowa, the Hobo Capital where events still take place today. Hobos were still arouond in my childhood days in Iowa, so I figured what else did the author skip or failed to note in her book. Sorry, I even emailed her, and of course, no answer. She owns three quilting shops in Illinois.

I understand, I will never make a Dear Jane either.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

I will not make the Dear Jane either...decided that after a half year buying fabric for two from Quilting on the Square... never opened a packet but they would not refund any money, even though I said it was because of my sight... so never to go with them again in ordering. I do love their free patterns in the newsletter. Tuition of learning, I guess.

Mine is a long story and has to do with a death of family member, but learn an awesome lesson from it.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

I don't want to make a copy of the Dear Jane quilt because there are too many other quilts that I like a lot better to copy. :-)

I never understood what was the difference between a 'hobo,' 'vagabond,' and 'homeless person.' They seem quite similar, however the homeless people don't seem to travel a lot. I didn't realize there were so many signs used by hobos. I only knew about the cat symbol.
    Last edited by givio; 02-26-2016 at 09:15 AM.

the Hobo would work for his food, and ride the rails in under the cars...many were killed doing so, or by the 'boss'bull foreman who found them in cars and kicked they off while traveling down the RR or after they stopped for water. +Hogs were worth a whole quarter during the depression... Banks foreclosed on homesteads and painted the whole site with yellow paint. They found their happiness where ever they could..

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all of you great girls for the encouragement. I will look into where I can get the book. Even a used one would be fine to me, so I will check some out. It would help me to follow even with what's still to go.

Susan

Blog Entries
    Guess what? My sweet hubby just ordered the book for me. I am so so excited. When it comes I will start on the blocks you all are on. It won't take long for it to come, so I can be picking out my fabric for the first ones out of what I have.

Susan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast