Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 28 Block 55 Malvina & Block 56 Marcella

The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 28 Block 55 Malvina & Block 56 Marcella

Hi Everyone, Yippee!! I have one of these blocks done.. I'm so glad I can contribute once in awhile....Yay!!
    Candy, Candy, I want some Eye Candy!!!

Here's my Marcella
    Attached Images Attached Images

Honchey, Hoorah! You made one! Nice colors! I've been working on a baby quilt, hope to put on the binding today.

Great block Honchey, here's mine for the week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

What pretty blocks, ladies--love the small colorful prints. I have my blocks up on a flannel wall; didn't realize this was going to be so large--I'm running out of room.Name:  55 & 56.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  450.3 KB
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Very pretty blocks.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

Blog Entries
    Such pretty blpcks all of you made.

Out on the road today, on an other F A R T to redeem my prize and find certain fabric to finish a couple of quilts... Very successful day with the neighbor lady..

I had problems on these two simple blocks... both pp turned out too small... six inch both times, so I doubled them by template patterns only and they were still too small so go figure.

Name:  1-DSCN0372.JPG
Views: 469
Size:  54.2 KBName:  1-DSCN0373.JPG
Views: 481
Size:  55.0 KB but they are done. . First is a lemon tree to make lemade with, and last is a cherry tree with robins eating the cherries. . . things learned in childhood. I love what you ladies have posted, and think they look really good.

Great blocks, everyone! I enjoyed making these two.
    Name:  Malvina and Marcella.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  169.1 KB

Blog Entries
    More pretty blocks, and nothing looks simple about them to me.
    I am hoping that my book might arrive tomorrow. Then my journey begins. My only wish is that my mom was still here to go on it with me, but she is in my heart.

Awesome blocks ladies.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

Oh, what a lot of sewing I've done since mother left! I tend to think that she can see it though...

For those using the 30's fabrics, did you see the American Quilter's Society additions?
    https://shop.americanquilter.com/fab...sc&order=price
    Last edited by givio; 03-03-2016 at 10:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    As usual...very pretty blocks...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    Girls, I got my book today.
    It's just beautiful, and I already read a couple of letters. The writing is so good, and I can feel myself there when I read them.
    I will be checking out the cd, and do some printing before cutting. I hope to begin tonight. I have a feeling I will be up late tonight. That isn't a problem though due to many nights of insomnia. lol...
    No, you can't tell I am excited can you? lol....

Hi Everyone, I cut the fabric for Malvina and I'm not sure I like the accent fabric but it is going to be started tonite.
    DH chauffeured me yesterday to Wilmington NC, an hour away and I by chance stopped in a shop that had a sale the day before and I stuffed 3 baggies of fabric for $ 6.00... I was so happy..I don't need the fabric but I love the challenge... Great blocks ladies!

Hurrah! Susan's book came! I have a potluck at work tomorrow and offered to bring a pie. I hope to get back to the blocks by Saturday. I shopped a couple of times this week for background fabric for this FW quilt, so I feel like I've something done, but not too much to show for it.

Lots of pictures for inspiration this week. Thanks, girls! :-)

JuneBillie, just a warning: these blocks are addictive LOL!! If you have any questions, you've signed up for the right group. These ladies are good and are more than willing to share their techniques and "tricks". Can't wait to see your first block.

I love coming here just to look at all the "eye candy" as Honchey calls it. Such inspiration!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Blog Entries
    Ok, I have been cutting, folding, and sewing. lol... I don't have the "Malvina Block" finished yet, but have the whole section of A1-A8. I was so nervous and excited at the same time, because I want to paper piece decently so bad. I seem to go well, but I am not sure if my colors are in the correct order. I followed right along with the paper piecing pattern so if you will so kindly let me know if this looks correct?

Name:  100_3345 (Small).JPG
Views: 85
Size:  122.9 KB

If I am able to get this first block complete correctly, it will be my first real paper piecing block that is something with more than a simple 3 pieces. lol....
    Thank you for looking!

Looks great, keep up the good work.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

Blog Entries
    Thanks buddy'smom. I will just keep on as I was then until I finish this block.

JuneBillie, get some crayons or colored pencils and color in the sections. much less confusion.

Susan, If you want to make sure your colors are correct, just compare to the picture in the book. If the block ends up backward, in a reverse image to the one in the book, it's okay too. I wouldn't pick out the stitches and start over if that happens. Either direction looks good on the patterns. And your fabrics can be your choice, you don't need to make the blocks in the same colors as in the book if you don't want to. :-)

Blog Entries
    I seen a note where it said that for the paper piecing they should be done in reverse, but I didn't know what that meant. I will look closer today at the block in the book and see if I reverse my colors if that makes it come out, but I won't take out the stitches in this first block. I was just happy I was getting the paper piecing done correctly. I will do the coloring too with some colored pencils or crayons. I can see how that would help. Thanks for all the help, because I sure can use it.

I am most of all having fun!

Blog Entries
    OK, I think now from what I see, I am sewing the pieces correctly, but when I compared to the book, it was just the colors. I have my solid yellow, and then I have my green print so what reversed after I paper pieced was in the colors. So if in the book it showed one color on the right, then mine similar to it was on the left etc. So when I do my coloring sheets first I can go ahead at that time and do the reverse in colors if I need to there, and then it will come out. Does that make sense to you paper piecers?

Thanks!

The fabric, when it's sewn to the paper, lays on the back side of the paper. The front of the paper is the printed side of the paper, where you sew on the printed lines, and where you could color. After you color your paper, you could hold it up to the window, with the colored side touching the glass. What you see, with the daylight from the window coming through the paper, is where your colors of fabric will be. You could compare that color layout to what is shown for the block in the book.

Fun is the key! :-)

Blog Entries
    Givio thank you. I am beginning to see what you are saying. I am having so much fun even in the learning process, and I appreciate all the help on here from such kind folks. That alone makes all the difference in the world.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast