Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Photo Page Week 2 "Alabama & Apple Tree" >

The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Photo Page Week 2 "Alabama & Apple Tree"

The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Photo Page Week 2 "Alabama & Apple Tree"

Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
woohoooo for you OKSGlad!!!
Good ideas ... and now you're making me wish that I hadn't committed to sashings!
So here's another idea for you .......... use your FWS blocks along with your PC blocks for one quilt design!

Thanks QE--good idea on the FWS/PC, but in my case don't think the FWS will play nice with the PC. Some will but there's some that will be fighting all the time.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 AM

Oksewglad...what fun you're having! I've wondered about the EQ7 but have never found anyone that used it a lot. You get to "make" each quilt several times just by changing the layout!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Thanks QE--good idea on the FWS/PC, but in my case don't think the FWS will play nice with the PC. Some will but there's some that will be fighting all the time.
...... though could you stop their fighting with some fabrics to unify them?
Just like kids ... always fighting on the playground!!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 AM

Gladie--I am amazed at how these layouts look. I saw the first one and thought "Oh-wow! That would make a nice wall hanging", then kept scrolling down through messages. I really like the blocks on point in the center of the whole quilt with the borders between blocks!!

Since I am doing 2 twin-sized quilts I just might have to figure out a way to do something like this on one of them. I have 2 friends with the FW book so would be able to borrow that for the smaller blocks on point in the middle. Too bad I don't have this program! It looks like it would make designing fun! I just use graph paper and lots of erasers!

I have just started cutting sashing, so can do sashing on one and maybe change up the pattern on the other!

So, question about EQ....are the older versions worth buying since I can get them for a little less or is the newest really the best??

Thanks for sharing!
Carrie
Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Your right GGal--Just a click of the pointer and off you go making changes.
Carrie--I really love this program and I have only touched the tip of the proverbial iceberg when in comes to working with it. I know in EQ7 you can scan your fabric into the program (done that), but not sure if EQ6 will. There aren't too many other bells and whistles that 7 has that 6 doesn't as far as I know. One thing is 7 allows you to install the program on more computers. I think it means if you have a lap top at home, one at work, one in the sewing room you can use same program in multiple placees. Me I'm lucky to have one computer!! I wouldn't be afraid to go with 6, but check the number of times it has been installed. I'll play a little tonight on a 45 block layout for you.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 AM

Wow, on the EQ7 ideas & pictures, I only have EQ6 so I don't know if I can do the same thing. This just might make me purchase EQ7 update. All of these are great ideas. Thank you very much.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

GrannyQ--whew you aren't minding my takeover!! Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words of explanation! I have scanned my blocks on my copy/printer rather than taking photos and then imported the images into EQ. That's why my blocks look real and why it's in my color choices. When importing an image I can't change colors because EQ thinks of the image as a photo. Works on 8 1/2 blocks and smaller cuz that's the size of my flatbed.
Carrie here's a couple of twin bed sizes. First one finishes at about 70 x 80. First black border is such that the finished center panel and border is 25 x 36. Other black borders are 3". The second is just an on point setting finishing around 77 x 90.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332238[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]332239[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pc-medallion-twin.jpg   pc-onpoint-twin.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:25 PM

Oksewglad...I love the second suggestion! It really is striking.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

I see that OKSGlad is still playing.
Good work there!!!!

CarrieM ... I don't have and I'm not too likely to get any of the EQs, but I think if I was, I'd go for the most up to date, so I had all the bells and whistles. Otherwise, I'd soon be wanting to upgrade! I know many use the feature that OKSGlad mentioned re scanning the fabric they are thinking of using. Plus the other day, I noticed on a fabric website that you could download their fabrics into yourEQ7 program.

To me, the more realistic it'd be, the more usable it'd be for me ... and the better the investment.

Now if I had
OKSGlad as an IRL neighbour who could help tutor me ... I'd probably buy it without hardly thinking! Can you tell I am so not a geek ..... I adapt well to new programs and equipment, but like some hand holding when I start new with them.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM

Thank you for taking the time to try some twin sized quilts for me. I like them both...decisions, decisions.

Today I got the sashing on 3 blocks and the paper off them...it will take a bit, but I am glad I decided to do sashing now so I don't have to do it all at the end. I am going to work on taking the paper off the other completed blocks next week on the way to KY. I think I will go with a different pattern for the 2nd quilt so have sorted my blocks into piles of those getting red sashing and those that will have blue borders. I worked on cutting fabric today for a couple blocks and should be able to sew at least one on Thursday.

I got a little sidetracked making a test block for a baby girl quilt I just got fabric for when I worked last Saturday...I am using a honey bun with coordinating fabrics using the "tube" technique taught on one of the MO Star Quilt Co tutorials. (They used a jelly roll). I will post a picture once my dd finds her camera.

Carrie