Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along wk 17 Everyone's Favorite & Fishing Boat Photo Page

Blog Entries
    Okay you have me wanting to get to the sewing machine and finish my EvF block.
    mbelle-that soft green is showing up again and another delightful FC rose.
    Ggal-great FC in EvF. Doesn't look like the same fabric as the corner triangles. Swirls in the boat, a batik, perhaps?
    Wendi-gradation of blues in boat block spot on. FC cowboy, is he looking over the fresh spring range? That's what your block said to me.
    Janie-SSHHHH. We won't tell that you misfigured. Your fabric arrangement artfully puts the spotlight on the apples in the center. Great use of clouds.
    OK QE, chuckling over it's raining cat (treats) and dog (biscuits)!! Every trail hand needs a pair of leather gloves and yes QNS, I recognized the fabrics as yours, too.
    Jan, wonderful artistic license as it takes a new spin on the EvF block. The Double 4P showcases your FC ponies so well.
    Thanks for the show so far, folks!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    As the day approaches it's close, here are my two. New printer, new scanner and think the colors are more real than others. I'm going to have to watch dublb--she may snatch this one!! Anyone recognize the center? Oh and what a dull sailboat!!! Careful or this one will get bogged down in "muddy" waters.Name:  PC 33 Everybodys Favorite.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  90.5 KBName:  PC 34 Fishing Boats.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  96.7 KB
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

JanRN...quiltere don't make mistakes. It's an unconscious decision to change the pattern. EF turned out lovely and the 4P really shows off the horses. Nice work.

Oksewglad...muddy waters...hee, hee, doen't look like your little boats is slowing down for it. Your EF is very nice. Really shows off the eagle!

Thanks everyone for your nice comments on my blocks. Ggal, no one in my family quilted although my mother and aunt taught me to sew; made all my clothes in high school.
    OKSew, love the fussy cutting in EF and just call your sailboat a little storm at sea--beautiful work in both.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I've never tried the sail boat pattern. My mother-in-law made one for our first born son and he STILL cherishes the quilt. In fact, he has passed it down to his son of two years old! I love making quilts for my family.....in hopes they too will be passed on to the next generation. Life is good!

Blog Entries
    Like you Jan I'm not from a line of quilters. My mom was just getting started before she died. She was making "utility" type quilts from left over clothes and drapery fabrics and would put an old woven flannel blanket in the middle and then tie them. I've got a log cabin version she used with 3" strips and bring it out for special guests. No it's not pretty but it's what I have and I cherish it. Her father and GF were tailor's in Sweden, then Gpa got the urge to travel west to America and became a farmer, but sewed in his retirement.

Hey do we have a new groupie? Welcome DaeK!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

QuiltE . Two nice blocks.....I love the sky "raining dog goodies"! I think a sense of humor in a quilt is good...

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Like you Jan I'm not from a line of quilters. My mom was just getting started before she died. She was making "utility" type quilts from left over clothes and drapery fabrics and would put an old woven flannel blanket in the middle and then tie them. I've got a log cabin version she used with 3" strips and bring it out for special guests. No it's not pretty but it's what I have and I cherish it. Her father and GF were tailor's in Sweden, then Gpa got the urge to travel west to America and became a farmer, but sewed in his retirement.

Hey do we have a new groupie? Welcome DaeK!
    What a heritage you have Oksewglad. I think originally all quilting was utility and you have one of the best from your Mom. My grandmothers both quilted utility quilts and I got my start by snipping the chain pieces for Mom while she made the treadle fly as she made quilts for wedding gifts out of feed sacking. I don't remember too much about the finishing but I think she did them all herself. I took some quilting lessons many years ago but didn't really take it up seriously until about 18 months ago. My goal is to make quilts for all of my family. I'll have 10 done by the middle of next month. I love to quilt!

DaeK...saddle up and travel along with us. We're a fun group.

oksewglad, your EF block is beautiful, very nice contrast and it looks perfectly pieced. I like your little sailboat. It goes well with EF. How do you get your blocks to lay so flat? Mine always come out wavy or bumpy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Termi...I like your blocks. I'm far from an expert because my blocks get wavy too but for me, most of it is in the pressing and sometimes I don't have the grain right and it stretches as I sew. Let's see was Oksewglad says.

Here are my blocks for this week. I see QuiltE and I used the same fabric for our sky! We must think alike! LOL

Termi, what a cute sail boat block--I love the background fabric with the waves; great fussy cutting in EF. Very nice blocks.

Jeanie, I love EF--it's so bright and cheery and I see you used my favorite fabric for sky in sail boat. Great blocks.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Blog Entries
    Termi and Jeanie, great additions. Love your FC, T, and your sail boat colors especially the striped boat! I see Jeanie's got the raining cat's/dogs fabric too. Great FC in your EF block, too. So cute with the hat and badges with bandana fabrics.

How do they lay flat? EF still has the paper on--won't shift at all!! Since I scan mine with my printer they are pressed flat too. Could be why they are laying flat. Thanks for the kind words. I think I have all the threads cleared off and always seem to have a couple of strays show up.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Well, Well ... what a busy place this has been since I last stopped by!
    I'll try to catch up now!!

OKSGlad ... good call on the raining cats and dogs. Speaking of which, we've had storms going thru all evening, with tornado warnings! I don't think there's any serious worry, though of course, things can change suddenly! As always, your blocks are well done. hhmmm? wonder where that centre FC came from? Worked out well with the other fabrics. Muddy waters? I see storm clouds in the back! New printer/scanner is doing a great job.

JanRN ... I didn't have any quilt background in my family either. I know my Mother had made them but not in my time. I too made all my clothes in high school, and most once I started working and after marriage. Even made a coat as well as my wedding dress (no, nothing too intricate). Then life happened, we were busy with the farm, and no time for me and my sewing .... other than to do mending! And on a farm (and with my husband especially), there was LOTS of that to do! I'm SO glad that I got back to the sewing ... particularly discovering my quilting passion.

DaeK ... Welcome to the PC trails!!! Hope you will saddle up and join us. Or perhaps you're getting ready to make a sailboat quilt. With all that history and memories, it'd be ever so special to -remake!

WendiQ ... this quilt is all about humour, and non-sensical stuff for me! I think the yellow has set me free!!!!!

GGal ... OMG ... you've only quilted for 18 months? WOW! You've really mastered things and are motoring! Congratulations!!!!!!!

Termi ... oh how I do like your Fishing Boat ... great match up on those stripes and the sail fabric, just looks like it belongs on the waterfront! And even waves in the water to complete the scene. And EvFav ... those horses are just trotting right along at road speed, I'm sure! You've done yourself proud on bloth blocks.

Your question re getting
    blocks laying flat ... there may be different solutions, depending on the cause. Is it because of the bulk of the seams that they do not lay flat? or that the pieces are too big/small and causing the problem? seams of varying widths? fabric becoming stretched?

Some of my solutions, lay in the questions. Plus, I press at every step, after every seam, first setting the seams. Spraying the fabric with Best Press (I've converted from spray starch) before you even start to use it can help to stabilize the fabric, particularly when working bias cuts. And for sure, at the very end, the BP can help get all flattened out. I have had blocks that the bulk of the seams were little mountains, but with pressing and some BP, they flattened right out nicely.

JeanieG ... oh so cute! Yes, we must be thinking alike on this! YOur yellow sails and dark blue boat certainly contrast better than mine. Impressive FCing and piecing on Ev Fav!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Wow everyones blocks are gorgeous, can't wait for Wednesday each week to see what everyones blocks look like.
    Thank you all for your kind words, I am really having so much fun
    Karen

hey all!
    I just now realized it is friday and I am LATE for the picture show

FABULOUS blocks ladies!!! Im always excited to see the novelty prints

Here are mine for the week.... DH says that my boat wont go far with the barbed wire! stinker.... well my DD keeps telling me that we have a old rusted boat out in the field, so I finally went out to look at it, it is a CAR! with no frame, someone took all of the panels off and hauled away the frame! LOL
    Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

Blog Entries
    DDamsel-these are so lovely; the effective use of stripes (aka barbed wire) creates 2 very striking blocks.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Jeanie...your little cowboys will need hard hats if they plan to do any sailing! Your blocks are really capturing the spirit of the ponies. Nice work!

DDamsel...you really got your fabric straight. Looks like a fine, cow tight fence. Don't know about QNSue's ewe though. I do like your combination for the EF block. Really sets off the pattern.

so I went for a walk out to the "Boat/Car" this morning and took a GOOD look... I think that maybe it is a buggy with electric lights!

also an old stove

and "Hercules" a baby Great Pyrenees

Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

I thought scrap iron was worth a few $$$; might make you some sewing $$,DD. Like your security guard, he is so handsome!! Love everyone's blocks. Yep, Leaping Lena would love that barbwire fence...she would go under, then over the lower wire.

Ducks and turkeys are so different from chickens. Ducks figured out how to go in and out of their house; they love all the weeds and green growing things in the yard. Moved the turkeys into where the ducks were, in the A frame; one got away from me. But looking at the BIG world, she turned around to come back to her mommy...me, of course. They are happy, high flying, strutting in the A frame chicken tractor now.

Cleaning out the stock tank for incoming chickens in the middle of the month; then in June we will ready it for the incoming guineas. Since turkeys and chickens seem to cause problems, we will not put them together in the orchard, putting the turkeys in their own area NE of the house.

Interesting looking "boat" deranged! LOL

DDamsel ... another lovely pair of blocks. And be sure to tell that DH, just how much we all appreciate your unique boat! I will admit I would so love to have a play with your pup!

And guess what
    QNSue .... I swear that I saw a Chicken Tractor go by my home today. I was just coming home and low and behold there it was on a trailer and I said to myself, I know exactly what THAT is! So now I'll have to scout the area and see if it's been installed nearby!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Ohhhhh, Everybodys blocks are so lovely! I don't why I didn't get this thread when I went & got the discussion page. Hmmmm no wonder I wasn't seein' picts. I'm behind some more. No sewin'g this week. My family seemed ta think that I should be free, & drop everything when they call. My DDIL was the only one who made plans with me, (I got ta take care of my DSon on Mon.) I kinda put my foot down & made my DSis plan lunch another day. She calls on Mon. & want's me ta do lunch that day. I told her that I had plans & she tried not ta take no for an answer. She works in Odessa (a 15-20 min drive.) I scheduled for Wed. That is the type thing that happened several times the first part of the week. Then yesterday I got fed up with my bathrooms not havin' decent flooring so I went & bought the cheapest vinyl tile & laid it. The back bathroom yesterday & the front one taday. Hooray all done. DH & DSon did help too. Crazy week! I have high hopes for next week!
    PS I did go to the LQS in Odessa after lunch!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Oh dear, sounds like quite a week dublb! But hey, you got a new bathroom floor! That's cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
    Oh dear, sounds like quite a week dublb! But hey, you got a new bathroom floor! That's cool!!!
    Yeah I'm a happy camper!
    I put the tile in the front bathroom "on point!" Always a quilter!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast