Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 29 Minnesota & Maud's Album Quilt Photo Page

Jan--pretty blocks. I really like the small sprays of flowers in the MN block. I assume you used a border stripe for Maud's Album? That is a good idea.

Oh wow Jan, those are really beautiful. Hope you are hanging in there. It seems to take forever to get everything in order. You are in my thoughts and prayers during this trying time.

Now that I am home, I need to get my blocks I've completed pressed and take a photo of them. I've worked on the house and yard all day today, so that much is done.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Wow Jan! Another beautiful set o' blocks!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Like Carrie, I thought you've used a border fabric--perfect place for it, Jan. The light fabric in the MN block reminds me of the type of house dresses and aprons my mom would sew in the 60's. She never wore slacks let alone jeans until the late 60's, early 70's.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Jeanie - I bet ya had a great time on vacation. Welcome back.
    Bev

Jan, beautiful blocks!
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Thank you, ladies, for the compliments. I really should take the paper off and press, trim, neaten them up before posting. I'm just so excited to be back on the trail. I did use border fabric (thank you, QNS).
    OKSewglad, that's funny about your mom not wearing slacks. My mother would have been 90 in October and the first time she wore pants was in the nursing home. She always wore "house dresses". I, on the other hand, don't own a dress LOL.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I am in my early 30s and were skirts the majority of the time...I find them more comfortable than jeans/pants I do wear pants/capris when exercising and when we're in the woods, but that's about it. I didn't even own jeans for about 10yrs, then we moved to our current property and the bugs were so bad I couldn't be in the woods without getting eaten up so bought a couple pairs.

JanRN, you are welcome and the rose border looks great. Please PM me your address again; I found a small piece of fabric I want to send to you to make you smile. Somehow, despite my best efforts, I lose PC members addresses that have been kind even to Pm me with them...so you all, please PM addresses to me again...who knows what might appear for the trail ride next...from QNS.

I was so happy when I could wear "dress pants' to work and not have to wear nylons. And they called it the 'good olde days' gone by. Looking at your "rosie' group...have Quilt in a day book on the forties (born in '42). The war years that changed the way women were viewed, the years they joined the work force and have never quit...creating new horizons for women on the job site... women did not serve on the jury in Texas until 1954. It was after Roe vs. Wade that a woman could apply for a credit card in Texas...I could not in 1968-9 without dh signature even though I was the major wage maker. dh was in the Air Force in Alaska.

In the summer I wear sleeveless dressed that are mid shin length or ankle length. They breath better. Way too hot ta wear jeans! DH likes me in jeans & I like ta wear 'em in the winter. I'm 51.
    Bev

Blog Entries
    We've come a long way baby! I have seen lots of changes of life as a farm woman from my mother's time to my DIL's. My mom rarely helped outside (I did very often in the barn and field), but we both took care of bookwork. My DIL AI's heifers and cows and was general contractor for the new calf barn she designed last year. Yes a long way!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

A long way, and in someways, I think that we've lost something too. I've worked with young women that finally realized that their biological clock was running out and started their families in their mid to late thirties and then juggled their lives to be Mom, wife, and stay on the promotion track. Maybe life really wasn't that bad when Mom wore dresses and cobbler aprons. We've added a lot of stress to our lives. Don't mean to step on anyone's toes. I've been on both sides of the equation and for me personally, it was hard to keep a balance. BTW...shorts or jeans are my daily uniform and I know there is no going back. Just being reflective for a moment. I'm 68 for another month.

Blog Entries
    Thought provoking, Ggal. Nice discussion. I wonder if life is all about keeping in balance whether it was our pioneer foremothers, our mid century moms, ourselves or our 21st century daughters and GD's. Stress comes in many forms and from many sources. Life was very stressful for my mom who started her post WWII family when she was 30, washed diapers in a wringer washing machine and had to heat water before she could begin the laundry. Equally stressful it must have been for her immigrant mother struggling to live a life with a new language and limited family support. Through it all we survive and we are able to make many decisions women at the turn of the last century couldn't.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

It was the brave and hardy pioneer woman who survived the struggle to exist and feed her family and work at the side of her husband...modern conveniences simplified housework. Now its a concrete jungle, four to ten lane highways instead of the blazed trails..

Yes, we have lost to gain progress. People work to leave the mule and 5 acres behind only to seek it out in later years. More international now, job seekers, families seeking their 'comfort' zones is not limited to a country's border. The whole generation of families in one place in a lifetime is rare; average youth of today will move more than seven times and change careers from three to five times. Often it boils down to, are we happier or know when we hold it in our hands??? Is it advancement in the work force, money or family that brings in the happiness and gives us goals to work for?

I think, as quilters, we find satisfaction in the quilts we create; watch for happiness in the eyes of the beholder as we 'gift' them. Or just pieces of fabric can bring smiles to our faces... seeing a quilt show, going on a FART trip...sharing our love of quilting with friends and family..and QB FW Pony Club.

WOW ... a lot of beautiful blocks that really hit the mark here!

An interesting discussion you've been having ..... The times they are a changin'!!!
    And Change never stops, does it.

While the simpler life seems so endearing, there was a lot of hardships.
    Then now, different hardships and stressors as
    OKSGlad mentioned.

Which life was better?
    It's all about perspective .... though I think I'd much prefer the modern day conveniences that we have in our lives! (even with the negatives they bring to our lives!)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have my Mom's little diary she kept for a couple of years when I was little. No electricity, no running water, 16 miles from the nearest town for any shopping...and 6 of us kids from 0-15! She had a big garden and canned enough in the summer to get through the winter. The cream check bought what staples the family needed. I still remember when we got electricity and running water in the house. A very hard life but I never heard her complain. She was just focused on getting the work done.

I like your summary questions, QNSue. I think it goes even deeper than happiness to contentment. To me that's a emotion that can carry a person a lot longer and farther than happiness.

Yes, gardnerGal, Elise was a contented cow. I think one has to realize when happiness is... and why it is. If you are constantly busy, you are happy...or most people are. Aunt Mabel always said 'idle child is in the hands of the devil'...
    and it seems so many are expecting so much for doing nothing today and they are not happy with what they get. Some never learn the work ethics, but continue to lie and steal what others have earned. Lack moral fiber.

People who have goals and hobbies, like quilting and doing whole projects, realizing goals and finished worthwhile projects feel good about it and themselves. Yes, I remember days without running water and barely remember electricity coming in the home...radio that ran on tubes...TV coming in the 50s...not our house until late 50s early 60s. We grew a big garden, butchered 2 steers and 4 hogs every year...sold cream, and eggs twice a week for the household cash. Gram canned 300 quarts of beans, and same amount of tomatoes every year. Canned much of the meat, and butchered about 200-300 chickens every year. Carried in water and carried out water for baths, wash day and dish washing...and ran down the path for the toilet. Old dresses made rags, rag rugs. and cleaning cloths, and aprons. Tooth picks were strands of Spaghetti stuck into cakes when carried to family reunion picnics with plastic over them.

One day reacently I sighed again & Dh said "I'm sorry that you are not happy." I said that just because I'm sad doesn't mean that I don't like my life. Contentment is a decision, (just like love.) There are goin' ta be sad times but it is how ya face 'em that defines how content ya are & eventually how happy ya are.
    Bev

You ladies are something special. How glad I am that I know you!

Welcome mat is out for FWS or PC to come by and visit a while...seems that we all have a lot in common and a lot of common sense!! Would it be safe for our dh if we got started telling stories to one another?? lol!!!!

Oh Sue your so sweet!
    Bev

Blog Entries
    Reading these lasts posts pauses me to sigh--a sigh of friendship and gratefulness that I have gotten to "know" such caring people on the trail.
    Enjoyed a great simple meal with DB and wife as well as several of our own kids and grands. Life is good.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

OkSewGlad....I was wondering if you would sneak away from the festivities to check in on us! It's so nice you have this special time with your family. Make some good memories with them to carry in their hearts.

SIGH.... I have been MIA and not sewing a thing!!! all of the FUN summer stuff keeping me so busy...

QNSue, your logic makes so much sense to me.

I think people are not raising their children the way that USED to be acceptable. my BIL grew up in strawberry country CA and his father taught him to steer the tractor when he was 3 yrs old!!! BIL would drive the tractor straight to the end of the field and then to stand on the clutch until his father would come over and make the turn... then little BIL would drive it back to the other end... when he was older when the fruit was in season, they would load the flatbed truck every morning before school, and when they got home from school they would pick until it was to dark to see...

life has changed....

when I was a girl of 5, I was responsible to babysit my two younger sisters one of which was a newborn! for two hours twice a day! while my mother milked the goats.... and we were NOT to get into any mischief while she was out either!!! and you know.... we never did get into trouble...

it is SUCH a different life....
    Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

I do believe that children need much more responsibility. If they are taught ta be responsible, they don't git into as much trouble. My whole family thought I was way too tough on my kids but they are the strongest, & most reliable in the family. Even the 19 yr old (my late in life baby) is known around town for how well he mows lawns & what a hard worker he is. He is payin' for his own college w/ lawn mowin' money. (That's a lot o' lawns!)
    Bev

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast