Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along wk 43 Telephone & Virginia Discussion Page

Felt better all in all today...got a little sewing done. I am working on samples for the quilt shop where I work. Yesterday during some of my good time I got a card made for the card club I am in...it is my month to design.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh wow Carrie, that is beautiful Fabric! Love your card too!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Oooo! How elegant!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Carrie I love the border print you have used, great job
    Karen

HI, I"M BACKKK!!!!!! My cable/internet came on at 6:03 p.m...this evening...8 days..no tv, no internet...my electric was back on Thursday evening... 30% of my town is still without electric...several towns over still 50% no electric... they have run out of telephone poles... a new storm coming this way again...what else can happen...I The devastation is unbelievable...heartbreaking..I have been so distracted by all of these happenings...have not done a bit of machine sewing. I did hand sew by lantern+ candle light my hex's that I English pieced in 2004...that's when I had my knee replaced...I picked them out of the shopping bag one by one...my fingers were very sore for several days...especially my thumb... My son and DH cut up a couple of downed trees in the back of the property...they were kind of dead from the storm last year...My DH is really happy the tv is back...the click, click of the remote.....ahhhh...
    Last edited by Honchey; 11-05-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Yeah for Anne! We've been lost w/out ya.
    Actually we've all been busy. I'm gittin' ready for my retreat this weekend. I don't want ta take a ton o' stuff. I want my things all ready ta sew.
    But we haven't been postin' w/out ya. I'm so glad that ya are safe & sound. We missed ya so much, & now we can git down ta PC stuff.
    Bev

I'm glad your safe and sound Anne! I duplicate what dublb says. We were really worried about you!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Glad you're okay and back on the trail, Anne. Still praying for your area--I can't believe the devastation. I'm a Weather Channel junkie and have watched it since the storm hit. Unbelievable.

I needed a break from Pony Quilt so this is what I've been working on. It's the first project I quilted on the Sweet 16; wow, am I humbled! I need lots of practice. Don't know how well the quilting will show in this pic, almost hope it doesn't LOL.Name:  Steeler Wreath.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  101.3 KB
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I am impressed, JanRN. You need to keep that handy, as your first one, and see the improvement on each one you do. At least, you have done one...those LA machines are scary to me, I'd rather pay someone for doing it.

I am very thankful that Honchey made it through the storm in high style, and they had clear sailing through it...I know how Mother Nature can really put on a show. It will take awhile before things can return somewhat back to normal there.

Jan I'm so proud o' ya for jumpin' in & gittin' that quilted. Every one ya do, will be better & better! What I see looks good.
    Bev

Honchey--very happy to hear you are back with us.

Jan--fun little quilt

Here is what I did today...started with a large butterfly fabric. This is the fabric I am using for a quilt on our bed. Dh isn't thrilled about the butterflies but really likes the colors so by cutting them up it works. I will get butterflies in the border...they are a bit smaller so not so overwhelming.

Ohhhhh Carrie! It's beautiful!
    Bev

Carrie, that is wonderful. Is that a "stack n whack" design?

Carriem, very pretty butterflies....Have you slowed down at all??? Good to be back...I missed all the chatter and you guys....

Thanks for the compliments...I saw this fabric at Market in the spring and was so happy when we got it in the shop.

Jeanie--I have never used the "stack-n-whack" books for my kaleidoscope quilts so am not sure how they do them. This is 4 layers of repeat, pinned on top of each other (very carefully lined up) and then cut into squares. The other kind I have made was using a free pattern called "spin cycle"...same idea only after cutting the squares you cut them and half and cut off one corner of the triangle to make a "kite" shape".

Honchey--me? slow down? Some days I just happen to have more time in the clubhouse and seem to be very productive. It was nice to have one yesterday as the week before I didn't get much done at all!

Carrie, it sounds like Stack & Wack ta me.
    Bev

I have a Stack & Whack book, but it seemed really intimidating, so have never tried it!

There are two stack and whack books that I have; the first book we have used a number of times with 60 degree cuts and the design repeats every 15 to 18 inches...and a ribbon border.Name:  DSCN0414.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  411.0 KBthis one was pink flamingos. It went to Corpus Christi, Tx., teacher Karen Hall who taught with DH.

Are the stack-n-whack patterns mostly 60 degree triangles? I have seen the book, but not *really* looked at it. I would say start with a 4 patch one and go from there. Quilt Moments has patterns with directions using this method...she has lots of patterns all on one page, so it is a lot of scrolling down but worth it to see some pretty quilts. http://quiltmoments.com/

QNS--very pretty quilt...thanks for sharing it!

Here is one I made using the "kite" shape pieces I mentioned earlier...there are 8 repeats stacked for this one.

CarrieM: the green is all 60 degree triangles...the flamingos are the repeating pattern cut into lengths of the repeating, the 14-18 inches, carefully stacked on top of one another in line with the design 8 times, then cut into 6 inch strips, I think, and cut at 45 degree angle up to middle of the fabric or where the fold is....usually about 22 inches in each section of the 'stacked' pieces...making the full cut for eight 'petals' that completes each circle....and the 60 degree triangle fits around them...like the green background in the photo above.

Wow - QNS and Carrie - those are beautiful!

Wrong again, its six petals not eight! The petals are sewn three together and not joined to the other side until the 60 degree triangles are added for the background

They are sewn together in a row, then added to the other half of the petals...to complete the thought....I was posting before ready to post...sorry about that...

Carriem I love what you did with that fabric, is it Shimmer by Timeless Treasure, I bought some from Hancocks but not sure what to make with it. I bought a few pieces of the co-ordinating fabrics and also the border print. Your blocks look beautiful..

I love Stack n Whack quilts, I use a Micro Stitch basting tool to pin all my layers together. I made my DH a lap quilt using motorbike fabric and he has loved it to death, the wadding is showing through, the black has shredded but he won't let it go to quilt heaven.

Here is a photo of my LeMoyne Star using this method

Karen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast