Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 5 Blocks "Best of All & Best Friend" PHOTO Page

Ooh, I love looking at these blocks first thing in the morning. They are all so beautiful and done with all the different fabrics make them look like different blocks. Love them all.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Falling behind on my blocks for this week but I love seeing everyone’s work. It gives me ideas and inspiration.

Such beautiful blocks! I remember that Laurie said in one of her books that there needs to be a "muddy" block so that others will really be set off. (The colors aren't true so they do look better in person.) Well, here's my contribution and only hope that there aren't too many more since I'm using my stash ONLY. I have very little room to store fabric so I'm trying to keep ahead of the build up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gardnergal970, Laurie is so right... What everyone has to remember is that the colors /fabrics have to be pleasing to the sewer. I am using alot of the fabrics that I have from the first FWS quilt. The only other fabric I'm using are the pieces I've swapped or the specialty pieces/horses and yes I will be sending pieces of the fabric used in Maud's Album Quilt to whoever wants it or until it runs out. I have about 3 yards of it. just pm me your address....I will be home this weekend so don't send it until Monday the 6th. Anne

Mirabelle…. Your blocks are their usual lovely selves. Love those roses.

JanRN…. Good stuff. I thought your choice of the orange was spot on as it goes so well with the geese/duck/swan/whatever beaks. I am colour co ordinated challenged so I’m always impressed when others do it so well.

Honchey…. Welcome back. We missed you. I am envious of your cute centre. I just loved the mare and colt. Lovely. The horseshoes are a nice touch.

Gardnergal…. You are another one whose blocks I look forward to seeing as I love your colour choices. Your alleged muddy one looks good to me and the bright cheery colours in the other block are fantastic.

QuiltE and Bev,

I would love to have my friend Bev along for the ride, but I’d need a really long lariat to lasso her. We live about 1200kms apart. Her plate is pretty full right now, so I’m not going to nag her. She’s with us in spirit for now.

OK....Here are my two......not near as cute as what I am seeing, but they are what they are.....

Honchey......LOVE the horses in the center and the horseshoe fabric is great! You do inspire me.....

Edited to address this to OKSEWGLAD>>>>

I would never have noticed the different corners....very clever. Thanks for pointing that out as it is a good technique to remember if ever needed....

Wendiq, I love your blocks and think they're really cute! I love how you fussy cut your fabric. Are you paper piecing? I can paper piece and I can fussy cut but can't do both at the same time--I'm not sure where things will end up LOL. You did a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
    OK....Here are my two......not near as cute as what I am seeing, but they are what they are.....
    I don't know why you don't think they're cute. I like them a lot. The little girl really draws the eye with the twinkle she has in her's. Your fussy cutting really is outstanding.

Blog Entries
    Oh these are so wonderfully different!
    mirabelle--your colors are spectacular and the rose placement so clever. The designer of your fabric should really get a look at your quilt when it is finished--you show it off well
    Ggal-I love the muddy block comment you made, and the block too-very well coordinated and then the bright blue comes up and really shows us how different that block can look with fabric choices.
    wendiq- your characters are so sweet looking, that little girl centered is so precious and the fabric placements are spot on.

In regards to fabric choices; I am enjoying picking out the fabric in this sew along over the FWS. Why because I really like my fabrics for the PC. Many of the CW fabrics in the FWS have been gained through swaps, sight unseen and are not necessarily pieces I would've bought and are not my favorites. Is this what is holding me back?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Oksewglad...In regards to fabric choices; I am enjoying picking out the fabric in this sew along over the FWS. Why because I really like my fabrics for the PC. Many of the CW fabrics in the FWS have been gained through swaps, sight unseen and are not necessarily pieces I would've bought and are not my favorites. Is this what is holding me back?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Oksewglad: I have fabric I don't like too but I'm finding some that I really like don't fit well together so bringing in some of the "don't likes" can give good results. I try to concentrate on values more than colors but do I ever have a lot to learn! You will probably surprise yourself if you just close your eyes and go for it.
    Last edited by gardnergal970; 02-01-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'm laughing here as I have been picking fabrics like you for so long. I do not shrink from using fabrics I have had for 30 years with fabrics I bought yesterday. Gradually I am using up my 30 year fabric stash lol. This method makes for a great lesson in choosing colors.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

wendiq,
    what's not to like? Yours are definitely cute. The centre in Best of All is adorable. The tan fabric matches the rope perfectly.

The ponies in Best Friend look so playful with the little guy trying to tame him. I love that fabric.

Great points, great construction and great colors.

Oksewglad - Your blocks look wonderful. Great choice of fabrics, colors and very well done. Oh how I wish to have some of those fabrics here. You have found a good solution with those corners.

Janie W - Love your blocks. Great fussy cut. You have done a beautiful job.

JanR - The orange placement on Best Friend reminds me geese beaks. So appropriate. You made beautiful blocks.

Honchey - How nice to see ypu back! Beautiful central fussy cut. I like also the horseshoes fabric. Your block looks great.

Mirabelle - I love the flowers on your blocks, specially those red roses. So lovely. I have some of those star and dots fabric, mine are other colors, how cool is that.

Gardnerfal970 - Awesome colors. Love the blue with green together.

Wendiq - Your blocks are so cute. That little girl is darling.

Mirelle & Honckey - I have resized my photos with Irfan View, a very simple free softwear.

All the blocks I have seen so far are beautiful, pure eye candy.

About the fabrics - We don't have here all the variety than you all have there. So, I am using what I have. My blocks don't look so special but I am loving this learning ride.

Best of all is half done and I have just decided which fabrics to go with Best Friend.
    Hope to have my blocks done by tomorrow.
    See you!

I worked on Best of All today. I've messed up several times. Did frog stitching 5 different times. Then a few min.s ago I laid my groups out & noticed this......
    Name:  PC Best of All.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  84.3 KB
    More frog stitching!
    I'm going ta bed & do this tomorrow.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Don't get too disheartened, Bev. You only have to take out 1 seam and that's 1 of those sewn to the flag. Turn the other similar pieces around so the point of the small square points to the flags. Sleep easy!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

JanRn, When I saw the geese in your block I said to myself "I also have that fabric and it's a perfect fit for the block. I hope you don't mind. Well, the fabric I chose to go with it looked fine until It was all put together...It came out wonky and the colors look washed out...not enough definition between them. it is what it is and I might end up changing it. I might even try to do it without the pping... I'm not really doing too well with that lately.

Oksewglad, I would have never known about the corners in your block if you didn't mention it. Looks fine to me.

All the blocks are coming along beautifully...fabric choices...colors...points all great.

Here is my second block for this week. Honchey

Blog Entries
    Honchey, I like your block. No it doesn't have the bright orange that Jan has but it has good contrast. When you put it with your other blocks it may have just the right shades to complement them.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I was just thinking....if we all have the first 10...Yes, 10 blocks done ...it seems like we just started last week! .....we are 10% done. sorry, I only have 8 done..but I have the other 2 cut out..does that count???

Honchey Very pretty block! Not washed out at all. Lay it with your other blocks & see how it looks. I bet it it will be just the right touch!
    Bev

Bev, I spent yesterday rip, rip, ripping, too. Hope today is better. I love the fabric you're using, I usually don't use patriotic fabrics. I've been wanting to do the Covering America pattern for 2 yrs (I have a loooong list of "want to's") and didn't want to use red, white & blue. After seeing the variety you can use, I may rethink that. Better luck today to both of us.

Anne, I almost used red and green with the geese but decided to go with the orange so it looked like geese feet. I love how yours turned out; not washed out at all. 10% done???? Wow-that feels good.

Dubib....what is frog stitching? In my first and what I thought my last attempt at this block I put one of the outside strips on upside down. I didn't even notice it until I started to post my pictures.

Hey Ya'll I was sulking so much yesterday about my frog stitching that I missed 2 pages of wonderful blocks! I got up this morning & Wow they are pretty!! I can't say enough about how doing this together will keep me going! Ya'll are inspiring! I'll get that frog stitching going as soon as I get back from taking my DMIL to the beauty shop. Thanks again for the pick me up!
    Bev

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast