Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along  Week 19 Blocks 37 & 38  Discussion Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 19 Blocks 37 & 38 Discussion Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 19 Blocks 37 & 38 Discussion Page

Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM

I have never done paper piecing, so just sewed it as a 4 patch, then added the side triangles. Went together really well, I thought.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM

It's been a while since I made 37 but I paper pieced it. The Yahoo group's pp pattern breaks into 9 pieces which is a bit like using templates. I managed it in fewer pieces but I can't remember how. Sorry. :0(

Honchey! Why don't we have a permanent discussion thread pinned to the top ala the Jane Stickle thread?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by mirabelle
I finished 37 yesterday and it went together easily so drew up the next block to paper piece it, started it this morning and everything went wrong, I had angles going the wrong way, fabric in the wrong place. My brain just wasn't working. SO had lunch and decided to just piece it the normal way, well it is such a mess that I have now drawn up another block. Have paper pieced the first row and have decided to walk away before I mess it up again.

Hopefully my block will be finished tomorrow when DS goes to work and DH goes fishing and I can concentrate without interruptions :P (don't tell them I said that) he he he
Mirabella,

#38 is just a series of half-square triangle units with two sets of four square pieces. If you do them as HST, you can lay them out and be sure that everything is as it should be, and then assemble it row by row.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
It's been a while since I made 37 but I paper pieced it. The Yahoo group's pp pattern breaks into 9 pieces which is a bit like using templates. I managed it in fewer pieces but I can't remember how. Sorry. :0(

Honchey! Why don't we have a permanent discussion thread pinned to the top ala the Jane Stickle thread?
Hi Pookie, I volounteered to do the Rotary cutting instructions before we started posting anything. I asked Akangel (originator of this group)when and how to post it--She did the other 2 threads-- She became very busy and I offered to do the threads for her. In the very beginning this is how it was to be done and sooo this is how I have been doing it--I believe because this is a lengthy project- if any item needed to be referenced- it would be easier to find if the threads were seperated by topics-ie: photos, discussion, instruction. There were some copyright questions also-Like I couldn't post the name of the block with the # of the blockbecause that was how it was in the book. I could ask PatriceJ if we could combine the discussion and photo page into one . I'm not too computer savvy with how to do anything else. I just think that if there are any changes or postings that they should be done all at the same time. We do need to have consistentcy in the time.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Ah! I meant just a discussion thread pinned to the top like the Jane group has. Their pic threads are still posted weekly and unpinned.

Combining is good, too.

I just think it's a drag that you have to post 3 threads and maybe a pinned thread, or combined thread, would foster more communication? Just a thought.

Interesting that you can't use block names from the book. I get it but all the ones I know from blockbase, like "Economy" and "Contrary Wife," have that name for real.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dagny
Originally Posted by mirabelle
I finished 37 yesterday and it went together easily so drew up the next block to paper piece it, started it this morning and everything went wrong, I had angles going the wrong way, fabric in the wrong place. My brain just wasn't working. SO had lunch and decided to just piece it the normal way, well it is such a mess that I have now drawn up another block. Have paper pieced the first row and have decided to walk away before I mess it up again.

Hopefully my block will be finished tomorrow when DS goes to work and DH goes fishing and I can concentrate without interruptions :P (don't tell them I said that) he he he
Mirabella,

#38 is just a series of half-square triangle units with two sets of four square pieces. If you do them as HST, you can lay them out and be sure that everything is as it should be, and then assemble it row by row.
Hi Dagny
This is the only block that has given me grief and I think it was because I was getting interrupted too much. Hubby works away and had just arrived home and wanted to chat and eat and drink several cups of coffee and I just couldn't sit and concentrate. I have the block half done and will post later today. Thanks heaps :)
Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Ah! I meant just a discussion thread pinned to the top like the Jane group has. Their pic threads are still posted weekly and unpinned.

Combining is good, too.

I just think it's a drag that you have to post 3 threads and maybe a pinned thread, or combined thread, would foster more communication? Just a thought.

Interesting that you can't use block names from the book. I get it but all the ones I know from blockbase, like "Economy" and "Contrary Wife," have that name for real.
I have an email somewhere that the author-Laurie - doesn't have a problem with us transferring pp or anything since the publisher allowed an online company? to sell the patterns as a block of the month without her knowing about it-or something to that effect.