Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Jane Stickle Cyber Sew - Week 4 - H4, F7, H3, A9, LS10 >

Jane Stickle Cyber Sew - Week 4 - H4, F7, H3, A9, LS10

Jane Stickle Cyber Sew - Week 4 - H4, F7, H3, A9, LS10

Old 01-23-2010, 07:54 AM

Oh Retro, that would be a bummer to have to redo all the blocks...glad you figured out it was the iron!

I have really learned one thing, and that is that starching the heck out of the fabrics is incredibly helpful!! It really helps keep things straight and in line!!! the blocks come out far more precise.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 AM

very pretty retogirl :thumbup:

for those who do not want to applique H4 variation block #2 is a foundation pattern
Old 01-23-2010, 11:57 AM

Heads up...Just finished Week 5 and I'll start a thread soon if KLue doesn't...Not to rush anyone, but there are a few working ahead.

the inset seams in the triangle are not easy...I've got soooooo much to learn...I hope by the end I have better skills, and will probably redo some of these blocks...but we'll see.

Leslie put a great tute on them that is tremendously helpful. Perhaps when the week 5 thread gets opened everyone will be able to post their tricks and trials!! There will be some for sure.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:21 PM

I give up on LS10 - I think I read that Klue was going to redraw it but I can not seem to find it if she posted it? Or is this now against the rules? I am thinking I could take the bottom piece and cut it in half and sew triangles on the 4 corners - Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-23-2010, 02:45 PM

Hi BC---I just took a square of the background and appliqued it on. In other words, I turned back the seam allowance on the main piece, put the background behind it, and sewed it on. Can you try that? I'm happy with the result but next time, would hand stitch it down so the stitching doesn't show. I did it with a regular blanket stitch and the thread is very obvious...cream on a brown fabric!!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Oh I feel much better - hadn't even thought about applique - I just kept trying to piece it - I am very impress with those of you that could piece it - :thumbup:
Old 01-23-2010, 04:58 PM

bc, do you have the "that quilt' site? It's very helpful too. She has just added some new blocks and triangles that she has finished. I refer to that site quite often. Sometimes it helps and sometimes not? Just click on the block number you want , if she has it done, and it goes right to the tute.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:41 PM

For those who use starch, how and when are you using it? I know this may seem like a newbie question but I come from a prewash fabric family and don't even own it.

Do you use regular or heavy spray? Does it discolor over time? Do I apply while paper is still on or wait until it's all off???
Thank you in advance.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:46 PM

Hi retro - I use "Best Press" and I iron the pieces when they are in strips. then, when I'm done, if it's just fine, I just iron it. If it's wonky, and needs to be ironed into place, then the starch comes back out! The Best Press can be pricy though...the drawback!

I have used niagra spray starch in the past and was pretty happy with it, except when it would make flakes on the fabric. I know it goes on sale pretty regularly, so it may be more affordable.

some people make their starch with cornstarch and water. There are several threads about starch on the board you can check out too!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:50 PM

Thanks, Esqmommy. I found Niagra heavy for $1.10 at the local discount shop but wasn't sure what I was doing, to be honest. I'm assuming then that I can starch the blocks I've already completed without issues (once I get a real iron, that is LOL).