Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: January 1, 2013 Whirling Start 2 - Photo's.

OK -- I was not satisfied with my first block. Changed the colors a little, set up for better scant 1/4" seam, and did get better results. My block is still not exactly square, but think it could work and size is just a smidgen short if I squared it properly. Took me over 4 hours just to sew it. Cut pieces yesterday. I don't think I would want to make a whole quilt with this block unless I learned to do it much better and faster.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DeneK; 01-11-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Lovely work! I like the colors a lot.

I had one block done and didnt like the color combo,so now I am going to try another. PP I like ,so hoping this one is a better color combo. I dont think it's a block I would do again. I have not been quilting that long to take on such a hard block

Blog Entries
    does everyone else see the spools? what fun! (says she who hasn't tried to make it yet, lol)
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Nancia, I see them but to me they look like pretzels or a cinnamon twist donut!
    Andii

Ok. Here is my block. I am still such a newbie. It was hard for me. Took me just a little over an hour and those "y" seams just seemed to want to pucker. I guess I got good at taking apart and trying again. I'm my own worst critic! Name:  DSCN0530.JPG
Views: 490
Size:  1.33 MB

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    pyffer if you're saying you're a newbie, you've graduated!!

love the black and white pyffer. I have all the pieces done,after dinner I will hopfully get it to go together? LOL

Hi

I fnaly had time to do some sewing after been call to work on the Australian Bush fires that are going at the moment.

After reading all the threads that are posted I was a bit worried about doing this block, but I found it went together easy by following the picture on the first site we where given.
    I desided to use up the fabric I had left over from the Quilt for Rosie (from quiltingboard) I have just finished just adding a bit more yellow and black, hope this works out for all blocks., rather than buy new fabric.

Name:  P1020433.JPG
Views: 440
Size:  141.6 KB
    Last edited by Lyn Hut; 01-12-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn Hut View Post
    Hi

I fnaly had time to do some sewing after been call to work on the Australian Bush fires that are going at the moment.

After reading all the threads that are posted I was a bit worried about doing this block, but I found it went together easy by following the picture on the first site we where given.
    I desided to use up the fabric I had left over from the Quilt for Rosie (from quiltingboard) I have just finished just adding a bit more yellow and black, hope this works out for all blocks., rather than buy new fabric.

Name:  P1020433.JPG
Views: 440
Size:  141.6 KB
    Love the colors, and you did a really nice job. It would go with my block. I'm waiting for next month to see which way I'm going to go with the color scheme. But I am loving the black and white and one other color!
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

Lyn Hut that turned out just wonderful, love the fabric choices.

Very striking block!

After taking a couple of years off from quilting, I feel it is time to get started again! Life kept getting in the way, 3 moves in the last 18 months (2 local and 1 long distance) and two of the houses had no extra room to sew in. I now have the the choice of rooms and might move my things out to the studio instead of being in the house.
    All previously posted blocks look awesome and made me want to join in the fun!
    Anyhow, here is my block, not perfect but will do til I decide to redo it. My problem was trying to get the template to print at the right size and I didn't succeed at that. My block is only 11 1/4".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fun2quilt View Post
    After taking a couple of years off from quilting, I feel it is time to get started again! Life kept getting in the way, 3 moves in the last 18 months (2 local and 1 long distance) and two of the houses had no extra room to sew in. I now have the the choice of rooms and might move my things out to the studio instead of being in the house.
    All previously posted blocks look awesome and made me want to join in the fun!
    Anyhow, here is my block, not perfect but will do til I decide to redo it. My problem was trying to get the template to print at the right size and I didn't succeed at that. My block is only 11 1/4".
    Kathy...........Welcome back to the board, we have missed you but understand how life can get in the way!! Your Whirling Star block for January 2013 turned out really great. I love the fabric's & color's that you chose to put together, they are awesome. We will all be looking forward to seeing your next block if this series, when it is time to be posted. Thank you for sharing with all of us today!!
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Wow, all such great blocks!
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

I haven't been here for a while and enjoyed looking at all the gorgeous blocks! You all did so well!
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Fun2quilt, your block looks great. If you have a problem printing make sure your scaling (on the print screen) is set to NONE- I have learned that the hard way. I have made a few other blocks and they turned out a bit too small, so I have added a border around the blocks to make them 12 1/2", one I measured wrong and had to add two small borders, WOW did that make a striking block.

I think my block would be voted "Most Unlikely Colors!"
    I haven't been to town to buy the batiks I'd like to make a quilt with, so I just used some leftover fabric I had , and some I received in a Secret Swap here.

I had Sula's post with her pretty block open on the sewing room computer, so her smiling face Avatar was like having someone look over my shoulder.

I used Patrice's templates, thanks for posting those Patrice.

I'm enjoying looking at all the beautiful blocks. I think I like the effect of the background with solid, one color blocks the best. The black and white, and black and yellows one are really striking!

Name:  WhirlingStar.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  46.8 KB
    :-)
    CAS

That's pretty cas..if you're using patrice's you do need the 4 fabrics like you used this time because of the different sizes on the spokes....it's very striking! I'm so enjoying each member's photos.... and have to admit it's hard to think we have another month before our next pattern!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    I think my block would be voted "Most Unlikely Colors!"
    I haven't been to town to buy the batiks I'd like to make a quilt with, so I just used some leftover fabric I had , and some I received in a Secret Swap here.

I had Sula's post with her pretty block open on the sewing room computer, so her smiling face Avatar was like having someone look over my shoulder.

I used Patrice's templates, thanks for posting those Patrice.

I'm enjoying looking at all the beautiful blocks. I think I like the effect of the background with solid, one color blocks the best. The black and white, and black and yellows one are really striking!

Name:  WhirlingStar.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  46.8 KB
    Cas............I had a feeling that you were letting me watch you create your beautiful block, for this month!! I just love the fabric's & color's that you picked to put together, they are so pretty. It is a definate keeper. Keep up the great work & I will be looking forward to seeing you post your February block, when it is done!!
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Blog Entries
    Wonderful blocks Kathy and Cas!
    Ronda

All the blocks are so pretty. Ya'll are such an inspiration to this newbie. My question is how do you choose such coordinating fabrics? I go to the fabric shop and am lost with all the fabrics and what to choose and what will work with each other. I guess I just don't see how to choose a "theme"? How did ya'll learn to do that?

Thank you Thimblebug. I bought some fabric yesterday and I am going to wash it all separately, at least the black and red .... anyhow, could I use three colors if I used two for the colors that touch in the middle and a third for the rest of the block?

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    That's pretty cas..if you're using patrice's you do need the 4 fabrics like you used this time because of the different sizes on the spokes....it's very striking! I'm so enjoying each member's photos.... and have to admit it's hard to think we have another month before our next pattern!
    CAS

Fun2Quilt, how exciting to be back to quilting! I dislike moving too, and have done it at least 40x. I think it's interesting how your block leads my eyes to see a pattern like a bigger whilrley-gig thingamajig with four inner points and four outer points. Cool! I bet I explained what I mean real well

It is really interesting how all the fabric choices make the same pattern look so many different ways. I sure love this project.
    CAS

Quote Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
    The blocks are all so different and pretty! Yum! Here is what I did for my January block. I think I may just make myself a girlie lap quilt! Go figure! For me! LOL!

Your square looks good enough to eat!!! So pretty and definitely girlie. I love your colors. Makes me think of the coconut bonbons I loved so much.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast